Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Reins With Preschool Child

Ok I am currently questioning everything I do due to the imminent arrival of Mrs O (still waiting!!) and my latest confusion is over using reins on outings. A little background - we are a preschool working very pleasantly at ratios of about 1:3 daily (don't ask how!). We are located in a village with a park and a multigame area within very short distance from our building, and a local library who are very accommodating. I have managed to develop a good system of outings for the children to be used particularly at the moment while our freeflow outdoor area is out of use due to construction. However this would have worked brilliantly last term when we had some lovely sensible 3 and 4 year olds. This term we have mostly 2 year olds who really do exactly as we ask, and a very small number of 3 and 4 year olds who do as they wish! One in particular is really bad for slipping out of a hand holding position, even resorting to slipping her coat off to get away and my nerves are shot! Her childminder won't consider venturing out without her being in reins and we are thinking we will have to do the same thing. Is there anything which says I shouldn't if the parents agree? Do I need to add her to the risk assessment for this and is there anything specific I need to risk assess for using them?

I don't like the idea of singling her out by using them with her but it looks like this or keeping her at the preschool which is worse and difficult even with our luxurious ratios.

There are some suppliers who have a rein like system for groups of children - bit like Santa and his reindeers! or a walking bus. Would this solve the problem of singling her out. I think the use of anything like this would need risk assessment on your outing's risk assessment.

Thanks that's what I thought re the assessment. To be honest I feel at the moment it's too risky not to do it so I can cover that. I've seen the group things but I'm not sure the investment is worth it as we've never ever had this issue before and the other children are so good at holding hands. Do you know anywhere they are available at low cost?

HI

The group things are called walkodiles, our preschool has just got funding to buy two.

My son is at our pre-school and he is terrible at holding hands -lets say hes strong willed! I chose to leave my reins at the pre-school as I know what he is like and would rather he wears these thanrisk something awful hapenning. The reins are the Little life backpack reins which are a bit more grown up than the other ones. He is slowly getting better holding on to the staff after lots of practise with his reins. I personally would get his key worker to speak to his parents and find out whatthey would be happy with it. If its risk assessed to show the high level of risk and you have written permission from his parents I cant see to much of a prob, If you dont want to single out a child - you could make it as a rule for under threes and send a letter home to all parents

HTH

Kirsty

I quite like the walkodile type things but if a child is very likely to let go of an adult hand I think they are just as likely to let go of any 'handle'

We use the wrist straps, almost unnoticable when used in conjunction with holding hands but if a little hand slips out of the adults then the chld cannot actually 'escape' due to the strap. Inexpensive to buy too :o

I quite like the walkodile type things but if a child is very likely to let go of an adult hand I think they are just as likely to let go of any 'handle'

The walkodile actually fixes to each child by a harness, so there's no chance of a child escaping! We are in a small village with very narrow pavements and there just wouldn't be enough space for the harness and our children to walk safely in the space available.

I like the wrist straps though! Much cheaper, as you say Geraldine!

Maz

Yes we use wrist straps for those "adventurous" children too! Still hold their hand but as Geraldine says they are an extra precaution should the slip manage to wriggle free of the hand!

Thanks for all the thoughts. I looked at the Walkodile and lovely though it is I can't justify the cost for one child at the moment. My sister has a set of the Little Life backpack ones which might be an option for this child as I could "sell" her on it through offering a sense a responsibility and her carrying something important. If I'm not grey by the end of this year it'll be a miracle!