Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed

can anyone help i have to answer this question but i havent a clue where to start!!!!!!!!

any ideas pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

a new member

thank you

kerry

'Thinking about the range of Early Years philosophers, to what extent can commonalities be identified between their philosophies and how have these philosophies been influential on current thinking and practice?'

Hi Kerry

Too late in the day to answer your question I'm afraid. I just wanted to say hello and welcome.

Linda

Which philosophers have you been studying? Aristotle to Vygotsky?

When I did my ADCE, I produced an historical time line( upper and lower lines visually). I listed all phylosophers on the top of the line and underneath wrote the social context of the time, including major political developments such as formation of NHS, for example "McMillan sisters" (upper line)at the time of end of "world war 3"and the "Introduction of the NHS" ( lower line) ( I think if my memory serves me right).

Phylosophies are affected or evolve due to social issues. It's late and names are out my head but for example was it "Brown" an industrialist, who developed the 1st "preschool" to meet the needs of woman working in his factories.

If you did this, it may help you see commonalities. What I did find was that "thinking" over the time period of early years phylosophers, does tend to go round in circles, "new" theories in the 60's, were practiced then dropped for "new" theories in the (say) 90's, but then we have more recently reverted back to past 60's theories in the millenium. ( please don't take dates as gospel, just written as example).

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

Peggy

Hi Kerry, and welcome to the site :D

The first thing that springs to mind is the "child at the centre" approach, eg children learn best when following their own interests, and when supported by knowledgeable practitioners. You could choose a selection of early years theories, from Piaget and Vygotsky, to include Donaldson, Bruner, McMillan, & Isaacs perhaps. Current writers in the field, such as Tina Bruce, Helen Penn, & Margaret Edgington have written widely on early years and many of their books will give you summaries of early years philosophy and its application to current practice. I don't know if you are near a college/University library or a teacher-training centre, but your best bet is to visit one; we live near Brighton and Sussex Universities and their libraries are great for this sort of thing. Good luck!

Hiya Kerry and welcome,

I agree with Helen, I think Tina Bruce makes very easy reading and often talks about commonalities and makes reference to the past thinkings and brings them in to the 21st century. You could then look further into this by going down those that you have most empathy with as a starter. Not too much help I know but it's a start.

Nikki

HI Kerry and welcome! :D

I can not offer you much help with your question but I would definitely tackle this by looking at the philosophers and their theories and stating how they effect or have effected early years provision, as the others have suggested.

Good luck.

thank you all for the replies, you all have made me feel much happier and i know have a base. once again ty for the help and welcoming

kerry

ps

i hope i can return the help in the near future!

Kerry you may well regret making that offer: at least two of us are thinking about doing the FD in Maidenhead in October (aren't we Hali?!).

It would be good to have a few more brains to pick...

Maz

PS Hali: have you contacted the college to express your interest? I understand they're interviewing this term!

Hi Kerry!

welcome and make yourself at home. Can't help with the FD I'm afraid, still dithering!

What sort of setting are you in and where are you based? - Just curious.....

Sue :D

How can I put this Hali?

No, I haven't yet! Meant to do it today but got involved in other things.

There's always tomorrow...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)