Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Remembrance Day

Hi,

Need to do a lesson plan for Remembrance Day for a reception class. I have an activity in mind but I am unsure at how to approach the background behind the poppy.

I am a student teacher and I am being observed.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Net x

My husbands great grandfather was killed in the first world war aged 34. I have a photo of him in uniform with his wife and 3 children. I show the children the photograph on the IAW and we discuss the family and their names, that the dad is a soldier and talk about how the little girl is feeling etc. I then explain that unfortunately he was killed because being a soldier is dangerous. It really all comes from the children and where they take it and each year is different.

We have a Magic Grandad book that helps them understand the basics including the origin of the poppy. They then think of something they remember (happy or sad) and draw it on a poppy leaf that we put together to make a display. It is always very popular and has sometimes raised valuable topics for discussions

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)