Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Linked To Children's Interests And Needs

I am trying look at the planing within my setting ( whilst off work with a broken leg) and would like to add information on to it as to how it links to the children within the setting. We currently plan each day and this is linked more to what as gone well and what activities the children have asked for. We don't have anywhere to show who has asked for these actitives but do write it in the daily evaluation. the setting is due Ofsted soon and I am unsure if this would be enough do you think we should have a space which show which children we are focusing on each day/week and in which area of learning.

thank you in advance

wellerkaren

HIYA - What we do is we have a why? who? what? column on our planning sheet and we say for example 'DF, GB, TI, KY ( specific childrens initials ) interested in digging in mud burying conkers then digging them up again.' Then we say what we are going to plan for these children related to this observed interest.On this occassion we decided to plant some bulbs and put conkers and compost in the sand tray. So we identify the who and what and then plan from that.Hope this is helpful. Dizzzz

Just wanted to say, I like how we plan at our setting and am happy with it but I loved the idea of why? who? what? sounds much better than children/next steps which we currently have as the title on our column :o We underline in green requested areas and have a notes box at the bottom where we write things like little Jimmy loving tall towers - block play etc. So long as your evaluation guides your planning it shouldn't matter where you write it, nothing is gained in writing the same thing twice. x

I am trying look at the planing within my setting ( whilst off work with a broken leg) and would like to add information on to it as to how it links to the children within the setting. We currently plan each day and this is linked more to what as gone well and what activities the children have asked for. We don't have anywhere to show who has asked for these actitives but do write it in the daily evaluation. the setting is due Ofsted soon and I am unsure if this would be enough do you think we should have a space which show which children we are focusing on each day/week and in which area of learning.

thank you in advance

wellerkaren

Hi there

This is a common problem inmany of the settings I work with. I agree that you should record on your daily planner who has done what and let that inform your next days plan but I also think that you need to record children's inerests on your medium term plans to show that you are constructing your curriculum around what interests the chidren. Please see previous post here hope it helps!

Alistair

blog - abcdoes.typepad.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)