Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reflective Accounts

As part of my reflective practitioner module we have to submit (at the end of year 1) a portfolio of reflective accounts,

I was just wondering if anyone else was having trouble finding things appropriate to reflect on, or if there is really anything that's inapropriate to reflect on?

I have tried to get a balance of positives and negatives but seem to have alot more arguing with collegues and work based issues than I do actual reflections on my practice involving the children, I did a really nice one on an outing we went on which made me feel really positive but i'm finidng it really hard when there are so many negative things standing out to focus on the nice things.

Any tip and /or advice?

It really depends on what the purpose of doing your portfolio is, I'd say. For our reflective practitioner module it was to record anything that happened in the setting that made us change our approach, or gave us pause for thought about an aspect of our practice. We weren't given a brief to reflect on particular aspects, so if there was a recurring theme in our accounts because of ongoing issues in the setting, then so be it.

I think if the issues you describe are getting in the way of your ability to focus on your practice with the children, then working through these issues in your reflective account portfolio is a legitimate and necessary use of your time. In fact, I'd say this is the whole purpose of reflective accounts! Perhaps once you've worked through these issues and begun to resolve them you'll be able to focus on the positive aspects of working in your setting.

Good luck!

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

thanks maz

I have managed to find a couple of good things I have done with the children to refelct on aswell, was getting abit worried the uni would be sending me for councilling or something the rate i was going LOL.

My next challange is to work out how to include refrences in my reflections if anyone has any ideas?

That's good - it can be hard to remember to pat yourself on the back can't it?

As for references, I just tended to add these into a box at the end of my reflective account with a brief statement about how it related to my reflection. If it was a particular quote then I'd make sure I'd put in the page number in case I needed to find it later! :o

That's good - it can be hard to remember to pat yourself on the back can't it?

As for references, I just tended to add these into a box at the end of my reflective account with a brief statement about how it related to my reflection. If it was a particular quote then I'd make sure I'd put in the page number in case I needed to find it later! :o

What kind of things did you refrence, like should it be related to reflections i.e something from a reflective paractice book?

is that a dumb question lol

Not a dumb question at all! It depended on the nature of the reflection. It could be something child-development related, or maybe something about my management style, when I would reference a management theorist. We had to write an assignment based on our reflections of our learning journey which is when I referenced the 'reflection theorists!' :o

That said, if my reflection revealed something to me about myself as a practitioner and the nature of reflection itself, then I would refer to a theory related to that, and not the subject of my reflection.

Hope that makes sense!

Maz

Not a dumb question at all! It depended on the nature of the reflection. It could be something child-development related, or maybe something about my management style, when I would reference a management theorist. We had to write an assignment based on our reflections of our learning journey which is when I referenced the 'reflection theorists!' :o

That said, if my reflection revealed something to me about myself as a practitioner and the nature of reflection itself, then I would refer to a theory related to that, and not the subject of my reflection.

Hope that makes sense!

Maz

All mine seem to show is that I have people Issues LOL maybe I should get out a few psycology books to refrence ;-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)