Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A1 Award

I am just starting my A1 award, whilst actually assessing, i have 12 candidates at the moment but am finding the A1 difficult, can anyone suggest any books to help? :o

Hi Ashington,

12 candidates! :o Wow - I thought that two were enough and turned down a third one when asked. xD

In terms of the actual A1 award I was given a list of questions to answer to help provide evidence and have to put in planning and feedback sheets. To be honest I haven't given that side of it much thought as I've got bogged down 'doing the job' instead. :( I'm sure it's something I'll get round to soon - one of my candidates has almost completed her third unit.

I had a quick look on Amazon and found this book. I really don't know what it's like or whether it would be of any use to you. If you get it perhaps you could give us some feedback. :D

Dear Beau and Ashington

I too am starting my A1 award I don't seem to be receiving much help and am trying to work my way through everything - would love to kow how other people have been supported during this process and yes I only took on 2 students as I didn't want to bust a gut as I am not getting paid for doing my this - one of them seems to have dropped out anywway. All I received was a three hour introduction and then have been left to my own devices which I have to say are not up to much

Nikki

Nikki

When I have time later I'll type out the questions I had to answer and attach them on here for you to look at. The training centre I am with is the same one I did my SVQ through. My assessor was so impressed with my work that she said I would make an excellent assessor and really pushed me to do it immediately after completing the SVQ. They run an A1 assessors course over one term but as I started in November I had missed the start of the course so my assessor came out to my house and did the training personally. :o I then met my first candidate at the beginning of December and was supported in planning for my first assessment with her. They also have assessor meetings once every 2 months so I have had a chance to meet other asssessors both experienced and in training like me. My assessor, who will be the internal verifier for my candidates, also keeps in regular contact to find out how things are going and to give me advice if needed. :)

Element A1: 1

Evidence summary:

1. 3 assessment plans for a minimum of 2 candidates. Each assessment plan must cover one full unit, indicate which assessment methods will be used for which PC and state how and when the assessments will take place.

2. Over the three plans you will cover a minimum of four different assessment methods and provide an example of where others make a contribution to the assessment process

3. A reflective account which indicates why the assessment methods selected are reliable, valid and practicable indicators of performance. and shows how others have been involved in the assessment process and their precise contribution to the process

4. Written outcomes from progress reviews conducted with a minimum of two candidates, including evidence of having updated assessment plans.

Element A1: 2

Evidence summary:

1. The assessment evidence showing your decisions for the three assessment plans cross referenced to A1: 1

2. A reflective account presenting how you have used four different types of evidence (including observation) to demonstrate the ahievement of the standards, evaluated tdhe effectiveness of the assessment methods in the light of assessing candidates and demonstrated your competence in relation to criteria c, d and g for Element A1: 2

Element A1: 3

Evidence summary:

1. A minimum of one observation by the assesor of you providing feedback to one of the candidates planned for in A1 and written or oral records of the feedback given to the other candidates planned for in A1: 1

2. A reflective account based on feedback to candidates where you indicate how criteria a, d and f were addressed.

Element A1: 4

Evidence summary:

1. The assessment records for the different candidates planned for in A1: 1 and written evidence of having contributed to internal standardisation procedures involving the review of at least two pieces of evidence for each of the candidates planned for in A1: 1

2. A written statement from the IV staing that you have contributed to agreed quality assurance procedures

Sorry - writing this really quickly so hope it makes sense as I've no time to check it! :D

Dear Beau

thanks for that, you are very kind for putting all that up - I will take a look and try and get my head around it all - am having real difficulties and cannot seem to find the time to get around to starting and finishing anything - so it shold be really useful and get me focussed. I am sitting here desperately trying to get an assignment out which should have been in last week and still not making a huge amount of progress - my house is a tip even though I've been on half term, no food in the fridge, behind with my assignments and trying to get to grips with the A1 course and to top it all haven't got my curriculium planning finalised either or my half termly newsletter - you know the sort of thing too much to do and not enough hours in the day with too many kids and no help. Just feeling sorry for myself

Nikki

How familiar, Nikki!

Despite my best intentions, I always seem to be behind. Assignments, planning, teaching, never time for housework.

I have been good tonight though - saved a little Forum surfing until I was finished and my bag was packed for tomorrow.

Could you tell me what the A1 award is, though?

Good luck with getting it all finished!

Maz

Hi Maz -

A1 is the new name for the old D32/D33 Assessor's award!

Doesn't sound much different from when I did mine, but I'm not sure about contributing without seeing the Standards.

Sue :D

A1 sounds like one of those taxi cab firms desperate to get the first slot in the telephone book: AAAAAAA taxi cabs

Perhaps it was changed to reflect the quality of the award and the people who possess one!

Or maybe someone had some time on their hands and decided to think up a new name. Wonder how much it has cost to implement the changes?

I think my cynicism radar is working overtime. I need food...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)