Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talk For Writing Lesson Observation

Help, Help, Help!!!!

I have been awake since 05:00 thinking about Tuesdays lesson observation by our dragon of a Literacy Co-ordinator (yr 6 Teacher).

As a whole school approach we are trying to incorporate Pie Corbetts - Talk for writing starting in Nursery. I am in Reception, with 28 chn and 1 Nursery Nurse, and desperately need help from you guys for tuesdays literacy lesson where I will be observed. I can not sleep for thinking about it...Where do I begin? Which text should I use....Little Red Hen? The Very Hungry Caterpillar to go with our chn's current interests of Minibeasts? Should I split the class?

Obviously on monday, i will have to read the chosen story to them a few times to familiarise it with them, then what can i do Tuesday? Do i start drawing a storyboard? Do i start introducing the actions? Or should i have introduced actions on Monday, to give them some idea? I would like to use talk partners aswell, is it a good idea for them to come up with an action for the key words.

Ah my golly I am excited to do it, and see how my chn respond to it, but would love a few pointers on where to begin. Any help and advice would be so greatly received. I will upload my lesson plans for the week on friday after school for any of you that would like to get started with Pie Corbett. I have not done that before, so that will be a huge achievement for me. ha ha

Thankyou so much

xxxx

As a whole school approach we are trying to incorporate Pie Corbetts - Talk for writing starting in Nursery. I am in Reception, with 28 chn and 1 Nursery Nurse,

SNAP!

Last year was fiction this year is non-fiction. Couple of things-our school has produced a set of 'actions' for consistancy through the school so check. We also have a list of stories for each year group as the idea is to build up the children mental storybank portfolio. We are doing Pie Corbett's Little red hen for harvest this year. Because the focus this year is non-fiction we are using -First, next, afterthat, and finally. Yesterday we baked bread (and butter) using a picture recipe I made inco-orporating the key words. As a group we re-counted, made a map, used the actions and the children came up with additional actions for kneading, mixing, eating! I have to say I have REAL trouble remembering the actions myself-think its an age thing!

Good luck and I'd be interested to see the plans you make.

Thank you for your quick reply Biccy, Yes our school are using the same actions throughout aswell, how did you introduce it to your chn first of all?

I was thinking of doing Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Because its my very first attempt and also for my reception class, something very very simple. But ive also thought the Magic Porridge pot might be nice, because we can cook and taste porridge, makes it alot more multi sensory.

WHAT DO YOU THINK XXXX

The Magic porridge pot sounds lovely but year 1 have bagged that in our school and nursery have the 3 bears so they do porridge. We read the story straight through with a book usually a ladybird then 'lost' the book when we needed to tell it again so needed the help of the children to retell and slipped the actions in.

Hiya Biccy

thankyou so far for all your help. Do you do this over a course of a week? I was thinking of Little Rd Hen, still undecided

Day 1: introduce story (read it, talk about characters etc)

Day 2: Reread story, use a large sheet of paper and model drawing the story map. (or is this too soon?)

Day 3: Introduce actions to support story

Day 4: Recap on actions and follow story map

Day 5: Perform to nursery

On day one make bread for chn to make story a little more concrete

xxxxx

Hiya Biccy

thankyou so far for all your help. Do you do this over a course of a week? I was thinking of Little Rd Hen, still undecided

Day 1: introduce story (read it, talk about characters etc)

Day 2: Reread story, use a large sheet of paper and model drawing the story map. (or is this too soon?)

Day 3: Introduce actions to support story

Day 4: Recap on actions and follow story map

Day 5: Perform to nursery

On day one make bread for chn to make story a little more concrete

xxxxx

One of the things Pie Corbett suggested on the training day was to use a roll of wallpaper and draw the story as a walk along

I was thinking of doing Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Because its my very first attempt and also for my reception class, something very very simple. But ive also thought the Magic Porridge pot might be nice, because we can cook and taste porridge, makes it alot more multi sensory.

WHAT DO YOU THINK XXXX

I have no idea about talk for writing or the actions you mentioned but it sounds great! Just wanted to add that i did a great lesson with brown bear brown bear last year. We read the story and all the children were able to join in with the repeated structure. We then made up our own verses (linked with our topic of animals at the time) e.g. brown rabbit, brown rabbit what can you see etc etc. In small groups we recorded their verses on a dictophone and then played them all to the class - the children loved it! Then they had to write up their own version and they did brilliantly because they all knew what to write.

Don't know if this helps in any way. Good luck x

I use Pie Corbets thinking but tend to choose stories that the children are currently interested in or that link to their interests. This takes more preparation because I have to put actions to the story and in some cases abridge the text. This is the method I follow:

Day one. Read the story with actions.

Day two. Read the story with actions again and introduce how to draw a story map. Then use map to read story. Then the children make their own maps in pairs to encourage discussion and help each other to generate ideas. I use large pieces of paper on the floor for this.

Day three. We are still doing maps in pairs.

Day four. In pairs use our map to retell the story to each other.

Day five. Act the story out with props.

Hope this helps

We have a cycle over 3 weeks

Week 1 you spend the week as follows

Day 1 a hook eg a catterpiller or some food from the story look at objects what are they helps EAL learners with vocab

Day 2 remind of hook read story at end repond to text eg tell your talk partners your favourite part of the book

Day 3 look at a page where is the writing, where do you start from, how many words on a line

Day 4 looking at the text again recap where to start from and that you go from top to bottom, look at different pages have they always got the same number of words etc

Day 5 looking for tricky words the children could have their own photocopied book to highligh underline tricky words

Week 2 is story maps and oral retelling

Week 3 more oral retelling and writing own book maybe changing part of it.

This week 30 children in a reception class with ALL part-time staff (2 teachers, 1 NN and various T/A's) which means we have to break down our weeks planning so we know what we are all delivering and it can be stand alone.

Monday-afternoon read story and made headbands etc to wear at the harvest and did the lost the book can you remember? re-telling at story time.

Tuesday-used hand puppets to tell each other the story in groups and made our own puppets.

Wednesday-introduced actions in morning made story map with children in afternoon.Run through at story time.

Thursday-Non-fiction-Made bread in the morning.We did a unplanned run through of the story with actions stood waitiing for our lunch! I don't work Wednesdays so I had not seen the children be introduced to or use the actions and they were putting me right with the actions and dialog on only the second telling.I was quietly impressed. Made story sack with children,

Friday-Used visual recipe cards and actions of 'How to make a loaf of bread' using first, next, after that and finally.Run though of story with actions at end of day

Of course theres lots more fitted in the week but I make that 3 tellings of the story with actions and I'm confident they have it enbedded for the harvest next Wednesday. I think that means we do it the opposite way around to you Rufus. Last year in nursery we did the Enormous Turnip and apart from a few of the bright children it went over their heads and I think I prefer the song story telling with nursery age although we did use a few simple actions like Once upon a time throughout the year.

Thankyou so so so much everyone for your support, I am really looking forward to cracking on with this and seeing great results. Will defo keep you nformed on how my observation went and hw the chn have responded to it. huge thanks.

I was thinking of splitting my class in half about 14 in each group. Or does it work fine a whole class?

xxxx

From what I remember Pie Corbett recommends that you don't use a book as such but write your own version of the story (and basically learn it until you are word perfect) add the actions.

Children learn the story

Children retell the story as a class

Children create own story using original as a scaffold

Yes we just used the book as the starting point. The re-telling, story map etc was from the children and they are adding " ...I will eat it myself with some delicious butter "

Hiya Biccy,

I am still thinking whether to do Lttle red HEN, OR BrOWN BEAR BROWN BEAR would you mind sending me an example of your lesson plan for Little red hen please. I'm liking the idea of Rd hEn, to make it more multi sensory for the chn

xxx

I am going to upload my first two lesson plans when i have finished them, would you guys mind having a look at them and see what you think

xxx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
got outstanding!!!

Thats fantastic.

I am doing something similar but after acting it out, 1 group will attempt to write something-a simple sentence, (another group will role play with masks they have already made, others will use finger puppets to retell the story. ) all in CP

Its an observation for my performance management. But i dont think Im going to get anything near 'outstanding', any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks

enjoyed reading this thread, and will be having a go at this myself i think!

does anyone have a set of cards/ pictures for their set actions for stories?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)