Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Behaviour

Hi,

I work part-time in a school nursery with 16 children at the moment. There are 2 adults (either myself or my jobshare) and the nursery nurse.

the majority of our children this year are EAL with 3 hardly speaking any English. 2 others are on the social services at risk register so need extra monitoring, 3 have quite challenging behaviour then we have 1 who we are really struggling with in terms of his behaviour.

He finds it very difficult to sit for any length of time. So far he has not played with any other children. He pours sand on the other children's heads, drinks from the tuff spot tray, eats sand, tries to pull wires from the wall, he has punched 2 children in the face and bitten one very badly. he has also kicked the NN. this is just the main things!! he does not respond to praise or stickers. If we give him time out he runs away and if we sit with him he is very happy as he loves this attention. He really likes sitting on an adults lap and very close contact with adults. We did a home visit for him and all seemed ok at home although he cried when my jobshare and nn left his house. his has 2 siblings and mum has said he can be "unruly". Mum seems very upset with his behaviour. We have phoned her twice as he is picked up by a childminder as mum works full time. She is coming in to speak to me Friday.

I have filled out a concern sheet for our special needs co-ordinator and started a contact book for mum. we are also keeping a record of his behaviour. The main problem we have is that we are not getting any time with the other children. We cannot take our eyes off him. We normally have 1 adult inside and 1 out so watching him the whole time means we are not getting any observations/focus activities done. The headteacher is aware but thinks its still just settling in!! its obviously a lot of attention seeking behaviour but we are unsure how to deal with him with all the other children too! HELP!!!

p.s he is not eal

Have you permission to share info with the childminder too?

It's tough when the group has this type of behaviour to cope with - if he is happiest with an adult, perhaps you can operate as you have, one inside, one outside, but one of you has to have him close to you all the time, he can be your special helper, then at least the other adult can get some observations done on the other children and then swap over after a period of time, so neither of you has to cope with him all the time until you can get some real strategies working on sorting out the most unwanted parts of his behaviour

thanks for your reply. yes we can share stuff with childminder but have started book too so we can ensure mum knows what is happening. he likes cuddling/sitting on an adult but thats it! he doesnt really talk to us otherwise and cant cuddle him all morning. he is quite defensive if we try to play with him etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)