Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Contract

Hi all

Just found out as committee member that normally only the mangaer and deputy and one playworker (out of schiool club) has a contract. Is this legal? The other playwokers are employed on as and when needed basis whereas manager etc are employed for certain hours. The other playworkers just do the days they are able to/want to do. Really not sure about this but apparently this has been how it has been for years. They dont have to give notice when they leave!

Any info appreciated

I'm not sure - I do know that if you work set hours for a set amount of pay then even if you don't have a written contract, you still have a contract if that makes sense. This is more complicated by the fact that some are 'casual' workers and some are 'employed'. I'd give ACAS a call for clarification!

Maz

I think all employees should have a contract, but some could be employed on an 'as needed' basis, i.e. like bank staff they would just be used when both the setting and the employee want.

As suggested I'd speak to ACAS - employment law is pretty tight these days, 'casual' workers sounds like a recipe for disaster to me - this used to mean paid cash in hand which is of course illegal and I'm sure is not what you're doing. All employees have rights and these are spelt out in their contracts.

I believe contrats should be issued but to be honest, if a an employee wants to leave without giving notice then they will and you are very un likely to persue this.

I also work for a large supermarket and know that if we have someone doing part time hours, they often do not fulfill their contract obligations. They do not bother to chase them. To be honest if someone is that willing not to work their notice, they don't want to be there and often bring moral down.

We have a contract for all fully employed/"normal" staff and a casual worker statement for supply staff who work for us as and when they can / we need them.

This was put in place my our HR company so hopefully it should be legal!!

Hi all

Thought i would update this.

Apparently you dont have to have a written contract but you enter into a verbal contract when you take them on and agree to pay them a wage. I have been advised that if we do not supply a contract then we have to give a written statement within 2 months of starting work. An exampke of which can be found on business link

http://businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/st...icId=1075225309

Now need to find out if we ever actually did this!

Guest jenpercy

Have been advised by our business manager that we should have contract for ALL staff and volunteers including holiday staff who come in on a casual basis. This is one of my very lengthy jobs to do over next few weeks as they have decided that our club needs to conform to best practice. Marley, you would not like to know all the things I have to do.!!!!!