Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Electing A New Chair

I suppose it could take that long to get the rest of the committee together for an extraordinary general meeting. But if you see my post about the chartiy commission you'll see I know a lot less than I thought I did when it comes to committees and rules.

I would think though that a meeting would need to be called and in the meantime you give out info on the role to your families incase someone wants to take it on. Then there would be any election if there are more than 1 interested parties.

Well in that case I'd say its not usual. At least 2 weeks before the AGM you should give out forms so people can nominate themselves to the committee, after the AGM, if lots of people come forward you cna decide who will do which role. I wonder why they didnt elect on the night?

same position here suebear-noone wanted responsibility of being chair and having to deal with paperwork and O (have just posted on Rea's post too) we are having a meeting in two weeks (not Extraordinary AGM) to find time to rally a chair and this was suggested by our Development Officer in order to encourage more parents and allow parents present at AGM to have a better think about if they could do the role...times like these when think it is inappropriate for a pre-school to be so vitally dependent on volunteers who often do not understand early years and how to run a group- it doesn't make sense sometimes! Few times though fantastic people come around but this seems once in a blue moon

Have you spoken to your Development Officer/similar or the PSLA about the delay in electing a chair?

No, am just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing major happens in the next fortnight. The new committee was elected in but no roles discussed.

I know most Pre schools are charitable set ups but the more involved I get the stranger I find it!!!

Good luck Rea and Extraordinary Chicken x

Our setting went for a while without a chair. It's not ideal, but needs must and all that. I would keep your heads down and keep quiet if I were you.

When I was elected chair, they somehow managed to make it look like I had taken over directly from the previous guy who had left a while back. Hmmmm.

We all do our best in difficult circumstances in voluntary settings, don't make life any harder for yourself. :o