Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Supervision

In our Reception Class, access to the playground is via a path and a long set of steps, so free flow is unfortunately not really possible .

We have attempted to allow the children free access to a small covered outdoor area just outside the classroom door, where we have a large water tray and an area to set up small world figures. We have clearly delineated the area and keep the classroom door and windows open, so the children are audible and mostly visible - they also police each other's activities very enthusiastically! One end of the path has a locked gate, the other end winds around the school buildings, ending eventually in the Junior playground. We don't have enough staff to have an adult out with the children all the time, but we make regular checks on them, and have been delighted with the way they have responded to the freedom!

We have just been told by the head that it is not safe to allow the children outside without direct supervision and that we must stop allowing them to free flow. I just wondered whether anyone has been in a similar situation and has any helpful suggestions? The children really miss the freedom to choose outdoor play when they feel like it, and taking them all out at set times, while fun, is just not the same thing!

Hi I manage a small Pre-school we have an area directly outside our building which is fenced off I introduced free flow a couple of years ago thinking the children could be outside on their own as we can hear and see them we did this for about two weeks and the children loved it but early years advisers came on a visit and said the children needed an adult outside with them at all times

the children loved it but early years advisers came on a visit and said the children needed an adult outside with them at all times

I think somewhere it does state that children in the EYFS must always be supervised, but don't quote me on that. Was it impossible to organise your staffing so that someone could be outside with the children?

As for the OP I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom - except to say that it is very sad for the children to miss out on what is obviously very enriching play experiences. Hopefully some teachers will come along with some words of wisdom!

Maz

I have taught in Reception classes with special CCTV type camera set up with a monitor inside so you could always see the children - would this be a possibility?

Could one member of staff stand at the window/doorway whilst doing observations? Have you got a full time TA? Could the pathways have some sort of barrier so that the children are kept in a visible position?

I think it is really important to use any outside space available and you are using your space in the best way possible so please try to persevere.

What about going the other way....can you have them unsupervised in the classroom? you could then be outside? Realise this is probably a loop hole that would be unacceptable but for short periods of time...

Thank you all for the good advice! We have an Early Years advisor coming in on Monday, so we'll see what she thinks - need to do a risk assessment to show her I think!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)