Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Would You Handle This?

In the morning, the parents bring the children into the classroom. ( Can't change that as it's the way the school runs!). I am on my own in the morning, so have 31/32 reception children coming in with their parents/carers etc. Every day, atleast one parent wants to speak to me about something ( which is fine as it usually only a few seconds about something)

In the mean time, the children all come and sit on the carpet, but while I am talking to parents, welcoming children in etc,some of the ones on the carpet will be laying on eachother, rolling on the floor etc. I can go over and stop them etc but there is no-one to monitor them or get them all sitting quietly etc.

Would like some advice on what I can do please as I am on my own and need to still be able to welcome the chn, talk to the parents etc.

I know our local school has a home school diary for all non urgent items. Parents do need to know that although you would love to stop and chat that at that time of the morning unless essential it is almost impossible. Perhaps it would be better at the end of the day.

Like the previous post indicated could you have activities for the children to start on arrival and do your carpet time when all children are in and parent/carers have left. :o

I know just what you mean! I think the simple activity idea is a good one- nothing too hard to organise or put away- it could simply be topic books or clipboards each with their photo/name on and they have a daily challenge to draw/write something or simply to doodle- what about making some simple doodle books- the children could make these in a creative session or KUW (use split pins/treasury tags etc) and they make their own for the purpose of being able to doodle in the morning.

Our school newsletter has just reminded parents about how busy we are in the morning so therefore please leave any questions till after school unless urgent. Could you write your parents a letter explaining this?

hope this helps and good luck

We went from children lining up in the playground to children and parents coming into the classroom. I had a self register where names and lunch orders were velcroed to the wall and table top activities set up for the children to play with. This worked really well and was actually faster in the end than them lining up, hanging coats, waiting for me to be free to register them etc.

I do the same as SueBear. I love the parents coming in and to be free to chat to them but parents usually write non urgent things in our home school communication books. I do feel for you being on your own though as I'm finding it hard to support the occasional teary child as well as everything else. But the table top activities works very well. x

In my old school we had this and we used to get the parents to help the children write their names as their self-registration. We had name cards and paper set out on tables and the idea was the parents helped the children form their names correctly. Really killed two birds with one stone as it kept everyone occupied and really helped with letter formation!

I hope that my parents will come in, as I view this as an important part of our partnership. I have children's names set out and they all trace them with their parents' support and then move on to the inside and outside areas where they help the EYA choose and set out activities. There is time for a quick play, whilst they wait for the last person to finish the tracing and then we are ready for register;shake up/wake up and then Letters and Sounds. It all takes about 10 minutes. If a parent needs to talk to me urgently, I ask my EYA to supervise the activities and move on to take the register at the appropriate time, so that I can give the parent my attention. If it is not urgent, I make an appointment with them for the evening.

This seems to work for us and I hope I have been helpful.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)