Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Intentions

Re long and medium term planning, in what detail, beyond the "broad framework" of the stepping stones and early learning goals, should planning be done for the knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes we hope children will gain?

Well I cant answer your question just yet but I just wanted to welcome you into the forum.

Im sure other memebers will be along to offer their advcie but in the meantime enjoy ansd make yourself at home.

Hi

I have written continuous provision plans for areas in nursery. Our long term planning. The areas are mark-making, maths resource, sand, water, book area/cosy corner, construction/small world, creative, malleable, music, imaginative/home area, technology and outdoor area.

Medium term planning needs redoing - I think I need more specific ideas and need to ensure that I am covering all clusters from 6 areas of learning. Need help with MTP!

I realise that you may want advice from Reception teachers but I know some reception teachers in my area have written continuous provision plans with elgs at the top. I have written mine to cover mixed age classes of 2 - 4 year olds. I have included two example of continuous provision plans, which shows the permanent resources available for children to access independently. Staff can enhance these areas with other resources/focused activity and that is written on daily planning (STP).

Would be really interested to know how other nurseries/nursery classes organise all this.

constuction___green_room.xls

home_corner.xls

Leedwa,

WOW, I'm really impressed, thank you for sharing your hard work and what must of taken a lot of your time to do.

It's great to see the links to BTTM and that books are utilised in each play area.

I shall show this format to my staff and ask them to adapt it to suit each of their areas of play for which they plan for.

Well done.

Peggy

Hi Glad you like it. I have changed the resources part of these documents three times (happy with rest) and I've only worked here for year and half. We have three rooms with mixed age groups and each are slightly different in terms of permanent resources for each area, depending on needs of children and age range/developmental range in each room.

Any help with MTP would be greatly appreciated. Are there any other settings that work with mixed age groups like this?

Judith,

My Long and medium term plans are quite broad. My adult led activity plans include a focus on Knowledge, skills and attitudes ( by the end of the activity the children will be able to or will have....bteotatcwbatowh)

Each member of my staff plans for a "Play area" ie: Construction / table top games / small world imaginative play is one area - area's ae linked to the layout of my setting. The Long term plan shows the "Development Area's and Aspects to focus on throughouit the year, for example wk 1 Summer Term is Maths Aspect 3,

The staff include this focus in their planning so that this shows that Maths can be experienced holistically across all play areas.

We used to plan 2- 4 weeks in advance, but as from next term I am looking at weekly planning, so that childrens interests and next stages can be seen to be informing the type of teaching methods and activity resources we provide- I shall see if this works alongside the long term plan. The long term plan ensures that we make good use of seasonal opportunities and cover all the 6 areas of learning, all the aspects and return to previous learning, with an emphasis on Maths and CLL, which is covered more throughout the year.

Hope this helps, whenever I write about planning it always appears far too complex!

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)