Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Website

Hi all,

I'm currently doing the Foundation Degree and on of the criteria I need to meet is to plan and give evidence of an extra responsibility to my role.

I have chosen to create a new school website.

I need to say how it has an impact on the Early Years setting.

Any ideas guys?

thanks

Hi there .... I built mine about a year ago - well my husband did under my instructions!!!!!!!!!! I am sure it isn't difficult to do, but it's just finding the time to do it and to keep it updated.

Try www.school.ik.com - you can build your own site there for FREE which is a real bonus for a small pre-school like us.

As for the impact it has had on us - not sure there has been any really - but it does look more professional especially on letterheads etc.

Good luck with it - when I get the time, I might try to be a bit more adventurous with ours like adding children's pages of activities etc! It's definately an on-going project but one that is last on the list of things to do!

Janice :o

Thanks Lou-it is .org!!! When you get there though it does say .com??? It looks very interesting and I will be having a go at setting up one for my own group soon. :)

Linda

I typed in .com and page came up ok - when you type in .org it still takes you to the .com page.

Good luck to those who are going to try it out! A nice little job for the Easter hols!!!!!!!!!

Janice :)

Thanks for the info ladies!

I checked out the website, and then a couple of schools in Windsor and Maidenhead who have used it. Looks good!

Was already thinking that our pre-school should have its own website (having looked at Carolanne's earlier). Just what I need: another project to get my teeth into!!

Maz

Ooh, sorry - got carried away!

Do you mean you have to show how the website affects the setting?

If so, you could say that having information available on the website would improve communication with parents (letters get lost/not read etc, and parents can read information at their leisure).

You could argue that the website would help educate parents about what their children are learning, setting up links to other sites (such as Ofsted, DfES, local authority etc) to back up the claims your website makes.

Also, the website could act as a focus for links with the local community, increasing knowledge about the setting and its aims etc.

That's a few ideas to start with (and always assuming I've got the right end of the stick!!).

If I were you I'd have a look at some websites, do a bit of critical analysis and assess the benefits to the groups they belong to. That should help you decide what kind of site you would like for your group, and what should be included.

Hope it helps, and sorry we neglected your original question: nothing like a bit of youthful (?) enthusiasm!!

Maz

Ooh, sorry - got carried away!

Do you mean you have to show how the website affects the setting?

If so, you could say that having information available on the website would improve communication with parents (letters get lost/not read etc, and parents can read information at their leisure).

You could argue that the website would help educate parents about what their children are learning, setting up links to other sites (such as Ofsted, DfES, local authority etc) to back up the claims your website makes.

Also, the website could act as a focus for links with the local community, increasing knowledge about the setting and its aims etc.

That's a few ideas to start with (and always assuming I've got the right end of the stick!!).

If I were you I'd have a look at some websites, do a bit of critical analysis and assess the benefits to the groups they belong to.  That should help you decide what kind of site you would like for your group, and what should be included.

Hope it helps, and sorry we neglected your original question: nothing like a bit of youthful (?) enthusiasm!!

Maz

28435[/snapback]

Thanks Maz,

Youthful enthusiasm....Oh I remember that!

Your info is great, I'd not thought of linking to Offalsted etc.

It's difficult when I don't work a lot in early years to say how the website would influence their setting.

Just trying to think of other ways, eg, helping young children

display their work on site.

This is up to 8 years old so would really like to link key stage 1 and early years working on the site together.

Any more ideas greatly accepted.

Thankyou

I also liked the idea of granny in Scotland being able to log into the website and see what their grandchild is up to at nursery - not a webcam or anything, that's a whole other discussion - but looking at topics, examples of work etc.

Elsewhere on this site there's a thread about links between settings, so if your children take part in a twinning/travelling ted/pen pal scheme, you could have a web-site link to their group, too.

You could also have all your policies on your site too, so that parents who are unsure whether it is safe to send their little darling in with a temperature of 102 or whether they should have the day off can check it out!

Can you hear my group's website building as we speak?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)