Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wearing A Kara Bangle In Nursery

Hi folks- I just wondered what everyone's policy is on nursery children wearing the kara? We do say as part of the school policy that for P.E a child should remove this for safety reasons but can be worn at all other times. In nursery however, the children have access to an indoor climbing frame and the one outside too. Therefore we ask parents that if it is ok with them that while attending nursery it is safer that the kara not be worn and explain that if it is then this will restrict their child's access to certain equipment.

I checked with the head and she said that the school has previously sought advice from the authority's R.E advisor who said that in agreement with leaders of all the major faiths that jewellery including those for religious purposes in the interest of safety should be removed for physical activities.

Seeing as the nursery children are physical much of the time and have the freedom to be so, I wondered what others policy is on this one.

I do not want to upset anyone and want to make sure we are doing right at the same time as ensuring the well being of all the children in our care.

thoughts anyone?

I have to be honest and say I worked for many years in settings where children wore the Kara and never had any problem in terms of accidents etc. We had much bigger problems with earrings!

There is a good chance your LA has some written guidance on this, which is also given to parents when their children start school? Might be worth checking, in light of a case a few years ago when one LA or school was successfully sued over exactly this issue.

I have also worked in a school where the children covered the Kara with a sweatband especially during PE lessons.

What do others do?

HI Mundia- that's a great idea about covering the kara with a sweatband- seeing as we already use sweatbands as a means of monitoring use on the climbing frame this shouldn't be a problem. We did check with the L.A but I think it wold be useful to have something written down from them in case we need to reassure parents that it is not us being difficult or not wanting to understand.

Again, like you I don't think there is a serious risk but never the less I need to adhere to the policy

thank you for your helpful tips

Hiya i am a sikh teacher and as a child i took my kara off during p.e. there is no harm in doing this..and if any1 is saying different its simply not true. In my class i still get children to take their kara off..as long as they put it back on at the end.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)