Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Area

Hi

Could anyone share what areas you have in your outdoor area? I'm in a reception class... after finally sorting out the areas in the classroom we are now moving on to the outdoor area. Should the outdoor area mirror your indoor e.g. construction, role play, small world, book area, creative, writing, maths? etc. Do you plan the outdoor area weekly? I have been told to do a rolling plan... but this doesn't meet the needs/interests of the children. I love working in reception but don't feel i'm getting it quite right and feel like im on my own as im the only reception teacher in the school (not much expereience but im getting there!)... the FS co-ordinator doesn't seem to know either.........

Any help would be really appreciated....

Thank you

Hi Ruby- I personally see the outdoor space as being unique and therefor, to me, shouldn't really 'mirror' what is on offer inside as the beauty of outdoors should be celebrated and used for the differences it can bring to the children's learning. That said there is no reason for not bringing the areas of learning outdoors only we need to try and think of what types of resources that you could use outdoors that you can't indoors, rather than bringing the same equipment out- does that make sense?

For instance large construction such as crates, planks, drainpipes- you couldn't fit these indoors (unless you have a massive space :o) think what areas of learning can you reach through these- PSED for teamwork/co-opertation skills when building; CLL- language involved in building, PD- goes without saying, CD- use of imagination etc

PSRN- use of natural resources such as sticks, stones, conkers etc for counting and measures, planks and material for den building- problem solving etc etc

Thankyou for your reply!!!

I understand what you mean... the children have been digging for acorns and making nests for spiders today... aswell as other things avaialable to them... so hopefully im heading in the right direction? I'm just drowing in stuff to do at the minute... thankyou for your help!

Ruby x

Thankyou for your reply!!!

I understand what you mean... the children have been digging for acorns and making nests for spiders today... aswell as other things avaialable to them... so hopefully im heading in the right direction? I'm just drowing in stuff to do at the minute... thankyou for your help!

Ruby x

sorry can't spell! *available

I personally see the outdoor space as being unique and therefor, to me, shouldn't really 'mirror' what is on offer inside as the beauty of outdoors should be celebrated and used for the differences it can bring to the children's learning.

You have got me thinking now on the whole idea of outdoors being different activities to indoors now Apple.

So would you say that you could provide the indoor activities of mark making, construction on a larger/different scale outdoors? (And wouldn't cater for small world outdoors??) Just thoughts...

Charly

In my outdoor area i tend to have similar areas to inside but on a larger scale. So...

Outside construction is large boxes, planks, crates, guttering.

Water area is water tray with pipes, guttering, buckets etc.

Sand area is large enough for children to get in if they want to.

Digging area

Writing area has all sorts of resources that you would find indoors but also spray bottles, squirty bottles of watered down paint, playground chalk, large white board and chalk boards, painting easel.

PSRN area - I have draw with measuring stuff, shape stuff, natural counting resources, large number line.

Phsyical area - stilts, cones, large construction planks etc, scooters, ropes.

Creative area is a stage with dressing up box and music and instruments.

Role play area is a shop and we use the cars for delivery vehicles.

I also have old hose pipe and funnels that chidlren can talk down. Large pipes with balls that they can problem solve with.

These are my permanent areas and then I add resources depending on their needs and interests. today we have had the trains track out and we have been making direction boards for the trains. Last week we made parcels on the writing table and delivered them in the cars.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Rufus, your area sound great but can i ask, do you have to put out all of these items everyday.? I teach in Reception and we have similar things but its very time consuming putting them in and out when i also have the classroom to organise. (THis includes tables and climbing frames that are for the outdoor area as local youths have destroyed them in the past so they have to be put away daily) Also lots of these thing are getting so ruined with the weather (our area is grassy and can get very muddy). Do you find this?

Rufus, your area sound great but can i ask, do you have to put out all of these items everyday.? I teach in Reception and we have similar things but its very time consuming putting them in and out when i also have the classroom to organise. (THis includes tables and climbing frames that are for the outdoor area as local youths have destroyed them in the past so they have to be put away daily) Also lots of these thing are getting so ruined with the weather (our area is grassy and can get very muddy). Do you find this?

I leave out the fixed and big items - sand/water tray, tables, heavy storage units. Anything in boxes and things that are easy to throw i drag inside the cloakroom. It takes about 15 mins of full on setting up in the morning. I am fortunate enough to have large covered areas in my playground this is where i store all writing resources, easels, PSRN resources so that they don't get ruined by the weather.

We used to have youths coming into school over night and ruining things but since the installation of CCTV we have had hardly any probs - fingers crossed!

No grassy area this year but I did have last year, which got very boggy in the bad weather. We insisted that children wore wellies when on the grass. I have a mud pit this year which the children use and I also insist that they wear wellies because they are constantly adding water to it!

Sometimes I feel that my outdoor area doesn't inspire enough, so thank you for your comment. I think as EYFS people we are always striving for better and giving ourselves a hard time!

I leave out the fixed and big items - sand/water tray, tables, heavy storage units. Anything in boxes and things that are easy to throw i drag inside the cloakroom. It takes about 15 mins of full on setting up in the morning. I am fortunate enough to have large covered areas in my playground this is where i store all writing resources, easels, PSRN resources so that they don't get ruined by the weather.

We used to have youths coming into school over night and ruining things but since the installation of CCTV we have had hardly any probs - fingers crossed!

No grassy area this year but I did have last year, which got very boggy in the bad weather. We insisted that children wore wellies when on the grass. I have a mud pit this year which the children use and I also insist that they wear wellies because they are constantly adding water to it!

Sometimes I feel that my outdoor area doesn't inspire enough, so thank you for your comment. I think as EYFS people we are always striving for better and giving ourselves a hard time!

Thank you for your reply, i so wish i could leave bigger things out but our head says no. Thanks again :o

Rufus, do you have a continous plan for the outdoor areas and then just write on yor plans when you add something to an area? Im sorry to keep asking questions but our school has never done the EYFS effectively and I just want to try and get it right.

Thankyou

Rufus, do you have a continous plan for the outdoor areas and then just write on yor plans when you add something to an area? Im sorry to keep asking questions but our school has never done the EYFS effectively and I just want to try and get it right.

Thankyou

Yes, that is exactly what I do. My weekly plan has an enhancements section and anything extra that isn't on the CP sheets (or that is specifically linked to the topic) goes in that section.

Yes, that is exactly what I do. My weekly plan has an enhancements section and anything extra that isn't on the CP sheets (or that is specifically linked to the topic) goes in that section.

I would love to see you plans Rufus!! Outdoors is an area that we constantly think we could improve on!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)