Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Involving Parents In Observations

Hi,

I have just taken over as the Early Years Leader in my new school and I have a parents information meeting on Tuesday. I am trying to put something together to explain to the parents about sharing their observations from home. I have read a few things related to this on the forum. If you have done this how have you introduced it to the parents, have you given them a list of observations that would be relevant, for example, for physical development: throwing and catching a ball, holding a pencil, using scissors...etc...or have you just introduced the idea of them sharing observations and then seen what came in?

Not to sure where to start.

Thanks

Hi Gemma,

I give parents 6 WOW certificates each term to record exactly that...anything that has WOWED them at home. The certificates are shared with the whole class when the children bring them in then go onto the WOW wall which is divided into the 6 areas of learning. Periodically they are transferred into the children's Special Books. I have done this now for 2 years and have had a fabulous response! Hope all goes well in your new post. luluj

we seek information through general chats with parents, to make it non-threatening. (we are daycare) We may ask a direct question or lead the parent into sharing information through statements like 'he's LOVED playing throw and catch..blah blah blah' and it is generally returned with what has been happening at home in this area. If it's a significant moment or a great interest it would be documented with a short paragraph and a photo with 'mummy tells us you do this a lot with grandad' If we are lucky we may get photos in from home as well :)

it all goes into their learning journey and as parents are reading them all the time so they can see how the information is used.

other ways are; documenting the learning with a photo and putting in a leading question in the staffs reflection..I wonder if you have been practising at home? this again leads to information coming back...or a straightforward prompt with a book to take home that they are particularly interested in and possibly ask the parent to observe how they handle the book, or if they ask questions and then when it comes back we ask gentle questions to seek what we are looking for.

will watch this with interest as always looking to improve this area. parents know so much about their child but often don't realise it's significant

We'll be having a similar meeting and are thinking of doing it in a form of a workshop. Probably set up a few tables: playdough, construction, small world. Involve parents in joining in with Write Dance, guessing game(What's behind the screen?) with parents asking questions. Constantly explaining the reason for doing chosen activities.

Apart from this every child has a home journal where parents are invited to record any achievements and proud moments which the child shares with the class at school.

Hope it helps. :o

We give out blank wow slips at parents interviews (next week), parents have been very good at sending all sorts of wow moments into school for us all to share and celebrate. We display latest 'wow' on our wow wall and old ones added to learning journeys. All staff throughout school, and breakfast clubs can give wows too. Perhaps we should introduce peer wow-giving too...?

Got wow slips from here - of course!

I am loving the idea of WOW slips/certificates. We presently send out each half-term a parent / pre-school shared learning sheet. This notes experiences the children may take part in at pre-school and suggestions of things the parents could do at home or out and about as part of their everyday life.

Example, numbers, door numbers , out and about, significant dates such as birthdays etc.

Dressing, undressing,

Parent/carers are encouraged to note any special moments and photos if possible for the child to share and these are added to the children's individual learning journals.

We also encourage the children to bring in items to share with us all of anything of interest to them. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)