Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cil Planning Boards

Hi - Any advice about how to get the wee ones trained to use the planning boards for CIL. OUrs are meant to take their laminated name card and stick it onto a picture board for the area they want to go to, such as creative, small world, ICT etc.

Then if they change areas, should move their name card onto that board.

They aren't doing it - and at tidy up time it's a mess getting them to put their names back on their group board.

Early days I know but getting it in the neck from the (very experienced) TA.

Have modelled what to do, and before CIL have talked about it to recap what I want them to do....

Tks

Hi - Any advice about how to get the wee ones trained to use the planning boards for CIL. OUrs are meant to take their laminated name card and stick it onto a picture board for the area they want to go to, such as creative, small world, ICT etc.

Then if they change areas, should move their name card onto that board.

why? not critising , just wondered why they should move their name around?

I too would ask why! (Like the person above not having a go, it sounds like this is something you've inherited) What does it achieve and how does it help the children's learning? If it isn't working and you can think of no purpose to it I'd scrap it! Forget the experienced TA, just because the last teacher did it doesn't mean it's the 'right' thing to do!

Ok - How do your children choose what they are doing. I've seen choosing boards used in every reception class I've ever worked in. Do your children just move around the different areas as they wish. Our chn have to put their name against the area they select to play in during choosing time. I'd love to scrap it, but thought it was the done way

How do you control / limit numbers in each area? thinking role play, sand tray...

We used to have planning boards in my previous school, but now its up to me in a new school I've scrapped it! I found it too restrictive, especially when children wanted to move resources between areas. At the start of CIL we talk about where they want to play and what they are going to do there, and at the end I might pick up on some of these things. In terms of restricting numbers I've found the children are pretty good at using their common sense, and if an area looks busy they tend to do something else.

Nightmare - choosing boards!! This seems like it is taking so much of your time up and for what? Are the children actually getting anything from it? Do they even remember where they have put their name? I would scrap it, big time. This is something that Ofsted have been trying to encourage lately, as a way of tracking where children are going. Surely observations tell you that?!

My class discuss where they want to go with their talk partner before they leave the carpet. They can change areas whenever they want to and move resources about as much as they want. We limit the number of people in an area by either the number of chairs there, a number hanging above the sand and water, for the role play we have bands that have to be worn. So when there aren't any left, they can't go in.

At the end of a session we gather for reflections where I choose a few children to tell us their play story of what they have been doing in the session.

Works for me.

We limit the number of people in an area by either the number of chairs there, a number hanging above the sand and water, for the role play we have bands that have to be worn. So when there aren't any left, they can't go in.

At the end of a session we gather for reflections where I choose a few children to tell us their play story of what they have been doing in the session.

Works for me.

we too restrict with different methods- in the sand we have sand bands, in the water we only have 4 water aprons, in the role play we have badges (laminated cards linked to the theme of the area- staff badges for example) we find that the chn respond well to the whole 'theree are no bands/hats/aprons left so you have to wait for a turn. At the end of the session, when chn have tidied up we give out their photos ( when they have tidied what they played with, not all at the same time- helps wonders with the tidying up too!) then they stick it on the 'Where have you worked today?' board to show 1 place where they have worked today- this shows what they have done without the need to be constantly changing it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)