Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning From Children's Interests...help Please(:

I'll be brave and say we don't have a medium term plan! (preschool setting)

I don't have any firm opinion on whether there should be one or not and would always judge a setting on the children's outcomes rather than is everything written down (I've seen planning that looks good on paper but just isn't delivered very well!!). I do think the dilemma for the Reception teacher is that often they are required to have some kind of MTP as part of a whole school approach, which I think is fine, if they can focus it on assessment into planned learning rather than just the content of the topic in question. Also there is the pressure of ensuring that children are getting the full range of curriculum entitlement as they have to make assessments in a very public arena and can be held very much to account for everything a child has or hasn't learnt in the preceding years in EYFS!!! Explaining to a SIP or HT that your children weren't interested in PSRN for example as a reason for low scores generally doesn't go down that well!! However I would really always want to see a MTP as a tool rather than a straight jacket, which sometimes they are allowed to become - as if once written something cannot simply be crossed out!!!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)