Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Festival Based Activities

Hi all

Can anyone help me? I need to deliver a training session on "Creating festival based activities" for a group of nursery workers. They want new celebrations in which they can learn about rather thatn the usual "Diwali, Hanukkah, etc". I have 2 hrs to fill and don't know where to start as there are so many! Any good and unusual ideas anyone??? Or presentation materials I could beg, steal or borrow??

Thanks in advance, Jitterbugs

Have you got the Childs Eye view DVDs for festivals.. there are 2 of them

Festivals DVDs

you can get them on a free trial from the link above... they also have other resources available.. while they do cover the usual festivals by showing it on DVD I often found the children would then lead the play asking to do xxx and then we would watch again at end to see what they had done and it there was anything else they would like to follow on with..

I always had to remind everyone that while we may be 'bored ' or had enough of doing the same things it is often new to the children - which is who we are introducing it to.

Inge

Have you got the Childs Eye view DVDs for festivals.. there are 2 of them

These are brilliant - they show a family celebrating the festival at home, and then how they cover it in school. There are notes that you can print out, and recipes and activity ideas. We did the pancakes for Chinese New Year - they were revolting! I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had more success. Something clearly went wrong when we did it - they looked so lovely on the DVD! :o

As Inge said, they are great for suggesting ideas for children to do - we found that they wanted to make chinese packets to put under the pillow in the home corner for instance. They watched them every day (and sometimes more than once) for the whole week and never got tired.

Maz