Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phased Return To Work

Having just spent ages on hold to the ACAS helpline I thought I would come here instead.

I have just returned to work (a morning only preschool) after 6 months sick leave. I am fully fit and have a 'fit note' with no conditions from the GP dated at the start of the summer holidays. My chairman is insisting on a phased return to work - which I would gladly have accepted back in July - but I don't feel I need it. Is she right or do I have the right to return to full hours on full full pay? We are paid for the actual hours worked, so only doing 3 days instead of 5 is rather detrimental as is the suggestion that as I won't yet be taking a full leader role I should only have assistant pay.

Alwyn

not sure if they can reduce your level of employment as it would be a different job / post to the one you were employed for..

I do think that if your GP sees you fit to return to work full time then there is no reason not to..they have the option for returning you to work with light duties etc now so would do if appropriate.

not sure if she is allowed to do this or not.. but I would argue my case and say I was seeking advice. Try the citizens advice, they can be very helpful and in the past I had email replies to a query from them..

Inge

Guest jenpercy

I would say that unless the doctor says you need it she cannot do this. It is also worth remembering that if you return to work 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and friday, you are not entitled to any sick pay. If you return to work Monday, tuesday and Wednesday, you are entitle to sick pay for the rest of the week. I found this out with a member of staff returning to work after surgery for brain tumour. i argued on her behalf, but this is really the case.

If your doctor says you are fully fir to return to work then surely no-one can argue that? I'd have thought you were fully justified in asking for your full hours back, immediately. Is the chair worried bout upsetting whoever took over your hour while you were ill..........surely they realised it was on;y a temporary move until you were well again? But it's a good idea to ring ACAS sap for full advice. Good luck xx

I would get advice from ACAS or CAB as soon as you can to back you up, and in the meantime tell your Chair that you disagree with her decision, and are able to work full time as stated on your return to work note. It might be advisable to put that in writing, as presumably you should be working full time now, and you don't want to give her the opportunity to say that you agreed. I'm sure she cannot insist on a phased return if your Dr. has declared you fit. Presumably you have a contract of employment so she will be depriving you of your rightful income. it might be worth checking if there is anything in your contract about return to work after illness.