Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Research: Play

Hi, am new to the site but hope it will prove a handy tool!

Am about to undertake a Research project based on how children learn social skills through play in Nursery/Foundation stage.

Any one out there now of any interesting Play based books/ social skills books/articles or recent research??? Also what is the wider view on learning through play? I know my view but would like a few more to add to the project.

Thax

Rachaelxx :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rachael -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting! :D

Sorry it's taking a while to get a response, but I think we're all just settling back in again after a long hot summer break...

I'm not really qualified to answer anyway, but Helen will be following along behind me during the next couple of days, and I'm sure other practitioners will have strong views on the subject, so don't give up yet.

Welcome again - I'd be interested in seeing the result of your research!

Best wishes,

Steve.

Hi Rachael,

I'm a college tutor and a couple of books my students will be using on play are:

The Excellence of Play - Janet R. Moyles. ISBN 0-335-19068-5

Play and Meaning in Early Childhood Education - Doris Fromberg. ISBN 0-205-29650-5

Don't know if this helps,

Vicki x :o

Hi Rachael,

I'd recommend the following:

* Teaching & Learning in the Early Years, (Ed: David Whitebread)

* A Guide to Early Years Practice (S.Smidt)

* Starting From the Child and The Foundations of Learning (both J.Fisher)

Also do you get any of the early years journals such as EYE ? They often have very relevant articles about the importance of developing social skills.

Hi Rachel,

I buy my EYE from larger WH Smiths. Usually with the other education/ nursing publications.

If the branch is stocking it, I've never had trouble getting it. Comes out near the beginning of every month and is considerably cheaper to buy off the shelf than from a subscription but also presumably a local newsagent could order it for you at shelf price.

Happy reading.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

As a starting point I found Tina Bruce's Ten common principles of the Pioneers, Froebel, Steiner and Montessori useful. (Early Childhood Education, Hodder and Soughton) I then cross referenced these against the ELG's and then researched those areas I felt were similar to my thinking on play. Having read this not so sure this answers your question but feel free to ignore it.

Nikki

• 3 years later...

I can offer you some resources for information on play. I would also recommend one book in particular (as she was my tutor at university) called "The genius of play" by Sally Jenkinson. Here is a document she wrote about play: http://www.waldorflibrary.org/Journal_Articles/GW3302.pdf

The Alliance for Childhood often has information about play as it's one of the things they aim to protect.

Hope this is of some help :o