Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds In Reception

Guest katie84

Guest katie84

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with Letters and Sounds!! We have used it consistently for over a year now but this September we are trying to work out a timetable that will work better especially for when the children have only been in school for a couple of weeks.

Our children phase into school doing only half a day (15 chdn in morning, the other 15 in the afternoon) for 6 weeks then we have them in full time. We usually start letters and sounds in week 3 or 4 but last year found tht it was such a rush to try and fit everything in. We also felt whilst the children were in half days we were really missing out on crucial PSE elements and also introducing and maintaining rules and boundaries as time had to be spent focussed on Letters and sounds delivery.

We are desperately trying to work out the best way to deliver and teach letters and sounds and wondered how other schools do it?? We are a 2 orm entry school with 30 children in each class.

Any info or suggestions of how you teach it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Katie84

Hi, We had the children in for 2 half days last week and in full days from Monday. We will be starting phonics this week. I started at my current school in Jan 2010 and they had started phonics late in Sept and I think this affected their writing. Only a guess. So I am going to try it this week and see how they take it. We are also spending lots of time showing them how to use the continuous provision and routines and rules of Reception!

x

I think you can afford to wait with Phase 2 delivery until they are all in full time. You need to assess anyway and see what they know before you start teaching so that you have a baseline, dont you?

As long as you are offering some activities from within Phase 1 you will be offering what is required.

I am just doing Phase 1 activities until Oct half term on the advice of out literacy consultant. She was very keen for us to get the children secure with rhyming and alliteration before we started Phase 2.

I start phase 1 activities straight away for the first couple of weeks when they are part time, and spend time observing and assessing them, then start phase 2 depending on how they are doing with phase 1/or their starting points. Last year I started phase 2 in week 3 as most of the children were good with rhyming and were familiar with phase 1 activities from pre-school. x

Guest katie84

Thank you everyone!!

It is nice to just get a little reassurance on what we are thinking of doing is right!! Last year we started phase 2 in week 3 but this year especially with the cohort I think we are going to wait until they are in full time. but for the meantime like you said Susan I think we will concentrate on phase 1!!

Hope everybody is enjoying their new classes and the new term.......anyone tired already! hehe!!!

Cheers!

katie84

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)