Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

All Year Nursery Provision

In another topic, Sue R reminded me that even though I am on holiday (Easter Break) She is still hard at work- Yes, my thoughts are with you Sue.

Just out of curiosity, all who work in day nurseries, open all year round.

Does your planning stay the same during "School Term" breaks?

Do you continue to assess development?

Is your planning more relaxed at these times? If yes, What difference does this make to the overall experience both educational & social for the children?

If planning changes, What difference does this make for the staff?

Look forward to your comments.

Peggy

Interesting question, that!

The grant funded children don't attend half term and holiday times, but as we have only a handful who only do Grant sessions, that doesn't really affect numbers. Because of this, the 'atmosphere' is different, a bit more relaxed, but we still continue planning as normal, with Keyworker times and observations, assessments etc. The only real difference is that we don't have a specific topic, we will do what we or the children fancy - we involve the children in holiday planning for the next week far more than in term time.

The Summer hols are different in that as it's a fairly long period, we try to build on children's interests to develop a longer, fun topic. Recently we've looked at Pirates ( a personal favourite, as some might realise!! xD:o ), Native American Indians, Aborigines (both really good) and a 'crafty' summer, where we tried all sorts of 'different' crafts. Got to try to come up with something a bit different I think, this Summer.....

Does that answer your query, Peggy? What does anyone else in this situation do?

Sue :D

We operate exactly the same as term time i.e. keyworker times, room plan and activities to cover E.L.G's, staff record and update children's profiles if necessary and we record and observe a chosen activity each day. The children and staff have adapted well to this way of working/playing so I see no point in changing it.

The nursery i run is situated on a naval base, so during naval main leave periods (2 x weeks Christmas, 2 x weeks Easter and 3 x weeks in summer) the number of children attending drops.

We go from approx 70 children a day to 15. And these range from 3 months to 4 years.

We do the same as Sue, planning a whole nursery theme with lots of fun activities, although it must be said that the planning can be changed at the drop of a hat... basically because we can :D

Normally the children get few opportunities to mingle with the other age ranges so its a good opportunity for this.

Nursery is much more relaxed during these times for staff and children and although we are still working we all look forward to these times, just to get the opportunity to write up observations, clean etc.

Bubblejack,

You make a good point, that the children are used to it - if you start messing up their routines, you're asking for trouble!!! xD

Lucy,

Although we don't go as quiet as you, yes, the aspect 'we will, because we can' does also creep in with us. Oops, don't tell anyone I said that!! :o

No, it's a lovely DN I work in, and a lovely Company. (And no one is twisting my arm, I promise!)

Thanks Sue, It's interesting that the grant funded children don't attend 1/2 term/holiday times ( if I understood you right). I can also see that too much change in routine etc would be confusing for the children.

Sue, what is it specifically that makes it "more relaxed"? I like the idea that you involve the children in the "holiday" planning, this is something I would like to do during term time with my preschool. We follow their interests as much as we can adapting our planning to their influence but I would like to try to develop more ways for children to communicate their ideas or maybe I should say, myself and staff to learn better methods of listening to them.

Peggy

Peggy, hi!

Sorry, should have been clearer. The full-time children's parent's motivation is their own. The children are with us because , for whatever reason, the parents are working/unable to care for them. Grant-funded parents tend - and this is a real generalisation based on just my tiny experience, before anyone bites my head off!!- to be driven by a need for their children to 'succeed', thus they tend to be the ones you dread, because they want to know why there are no worksheets, words to spell (!) etc.

That's what's more relaxed, I think!!!! We've only got the full-timers!

I understand exactly where your coming from xD:(:(

They need to understand the difference between the terms "Child" and "Pupil" me thinks. :o

Peggy

I work for a primary school nursery now that I am a qualified teacher, but before I worked for a private montessori nursery- We had a more relaxed time during the normal school holidays that way those parents who did want to take their child out during holidays (it was up to them as they paid foe the whole year) didnt feel that their child was kept behind in any way, which they would often think! during the summmer holidays we would have a summer school and would try to do as many different things as possible, including a trip a week; parents could afford it and enjoyed it so why not!!!

I'd like to say that every day at preschool is like a holiday, and that during the "Term" breaks I get severe withdrawal symptoms and just do not know what to do with myself. :o

But if I did say that I'd be lying :D:D

I just wondered if the difference in attitude, planning commitments etc between "Holiday" provision and "every day" provision is really that great.

It appears it is with parents but not with staff and children.

Peggy

p.s. Green, which "job" gave/gives you most satisfaction, Primary school Nursery or Montessori?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)