Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Evidence

Hi All

I've been a TES user for years but I've only just moved to the foundation stage forum, as I've never taught Reception before AGGGGHHHHH.

So I have about a million questions. But I'll start with just one.

So, they don't do writing in books, they do 'real writing' for 'real purposes' but how much evidence of this do you keep and where do you keep it????

Thanks xx

Depends what they write! If its something that demonstrates a skill I'd not seen being independently applied before I'd keep it. In a file usually. Then when the inevitable primary focused "Book scrutiny" came round I'd hand in my observations and samples.

I don't think books are unused - just not in the same way they are the be all and end all in primary classes. My reception children had books and used them fairly regularly for adult directed tasks if a book was appropriate.

Cx

Edited by catma

I echo Catma. If a child produces a piece of writing demonstrating a skill independently then I put it in their learning journey, or a photocopy if they want to take it home.

In my class they have 2 books, a journal that they can use whenever they choose as well as once a week a designated 'news' slot. This demonstrates their independent writing. And we have our topic book that we use as our more 'formal' workbook and contains work from adult focus sessions for anything that requires some kind of recording including guided writing.

Again my reception is very similar,

we have a topic book for more formal adult initiated activities, and a 'my little book of treasures' which is kept in the childrens trays, they can use them whenever they want and when they choose too, which shows evidence of child initiated writing ect.

Other evidence of child initiated activies are stuck in their learning journey (which mine are books) or taken home depends on what it is.

Emma

Again my reception is very similar,

we have a topic book for more formal adult initiated activities, and a 'my little book of treasures' which is kept in the childrens trays, they can use them whenever they want and when they choose too, which shows evidence of child initiated writing ect.

Other evidence of child initiated activies are stuck in their learning journey (which mine are books) or taken home depends on what it is.

Emma

Hi

I love this idea of a Little book of treasures and plan to make them each a book next week. I used to have a busy book with lines in it. But have decided to make this a big A4 plain book now so that it doesnt limit their treasure work and confine them. I will let them take it home though so that I can include the parents in it and see what they get up to at home. I was interested to read the Featured article: The Drawings of Reception Boys: Fantasy and Frustrations and wondered how I could encourage more drawing at home/school for certain children and hope this will also be achieved by sending home the Little book of Treasures. I just have to work out what sort of blurb to write in the front of the book for parents to give them the right messages now.....?!

Thanks for sharing your ideas and helping me to have a lightbulb moment! :o

Amanda

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful, I'll be using some of those ideas if that's OK. I'm relieved to find that you do use books for some things. Wasn't quite sure how I was going to work it with no books at all.

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)