Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Few Weeks Assessment

Hi - just wondering how people organise initial assessmernt in first few weeks. I will have learning journeys for 20 chn who attended our nursery, but have nothing on the other 10 chn joining in reception.

Do you just spend lots of time observing, and make copious notes, or do you have a checklist of things to look out for linked to ELGs, such as who can count, recognise numerals, letters, what sounds they know.

Anyone have a format for initial assessment I'd love to take a peek..

Getting excited - but just realised how much I still have to do as an NQT...

Tks.

This is what we use (it won't suit everyone!) but it suited our intake last year.

first_3_fspp.doc

and then......

I_need_help_with.doc

but we change the skills at the top according to the intake of children and their needs.

We can then do focus groups, working on these skills and using resources which the particular children favour.

You may find that you need to provide your LEA with a Baseline, usually PSE, CLLD, PSRN after 6/7 weeks. Look at the profile--first 3 points mostly although you may have some higher attainers but make sure it is consolidated before you score. Ask in school to find out the expectation. Take lenty of time to get to know your children and to establish your classroom rules and routines and dont be pressurised to start "teaching" before you feel ready. Time spent establishing the basics and getting to know your children really well will pay dividends later on.

Have fun and good luck.

Why don't you have anything for the other 10 children who are joining your reception class? Surely their previous settings will have passed on their profiles or however they recorded their progress, even if it wasn't the same as the learning journeys that your nursery completed?

Didn't the children come in for induction sessions or couldn't you visit them at home or their previous settings?

Jo

You may find that you need to provide your LEA with a Baseline, usually PSE, CLLD, PSRN after 6/7 weeks. Look at the profile--first 3 points mostly although you may have some higher attainers but make sure it is consolidated before you score. Ask in school to find out the expectation. Take lenty of time to get to know your children and to establish your classroom rules and routines and dont be pressurised to start "teaching" before you feel ready. Time spent establishing the basics and getting to know your children really well will pay dividends later on.

Have fun and good luck.

Why don't you have anything for the other 10 children who are joining your reception class? Surely their previous settings will have passed on their profiles or however they recorded their progress, even if it wasn't the same as the learning journeys that your nursery completed?

Didn't the children come in for induction sessions or couldn't you visit them at home or their previous settings?

Jo

Thanks for all the great advice.

Not sure why we don't have anything on the other 10 kids. Hoping it will come with them in September.

I wasn't attached to the school for my training. I attended the induction day with the children but that is trhe only chance I got to talk to previous staff and they had no info on the other children as yet.

Don't believe the last reception teachers did any home visits, both were leaving, one resigned, one pregnant, so maybe they just didn't bother.

Tks

Sometimes you have nothing because the children haven't been anywhere else...in reception you just have to take pot luck sometimes!!

I worry about "checklists" of things chn should know for on entry judgements...it's very subjective and doesn't really tell you what they can do - more what they can't which isn't helpful. Whatever pitch you give the "criteria" children may be quite normally pre or post said milestone. For example often there is a preoccupation re "Can cut with scissors" but just getting a no doesn't address what kind of skills are they using re fine motor which might be of importance. We focus on one thing and miss the others because they are not on the list. I would always be looking to use observation and an open mind linked to a broad sense of what age/stage I might reasonably expect a child to be operating in and then be looking up/down from that depending on what I observed. That way I can fine tune my initial assessments.

I would also make my iitial judgements but bear in mind that children are not necessarily operating at their previous best because of the transitional element of change. Be prepared to revise your opinions if necessary!! Nothing recorded is written in tablets of stone.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)