Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home Corner/role Play

I am looking for good practices relating to making home corners exciting and relevant to children under three years - examples of items to add, size of the area. I have a list of the normal things but I want to add to it until I get a really unique list!

We have added a Radio,hats,real food,old mobiles, bags, a toy dog plus basket and bowl, books e.g families,cooking etc, baby items e.g bottles, nappies, baby cup, highchair, small pushchair. Hope this helps :o

I like to have as much real stuff as possible - real phone, old recipe books with loads of good pictures, possibly some real food sometimes.

Also if you have high ceilings, it can be nice to add a drape to make a lower ceiling.

ANother thing I have done is to sometimes put the workbench in, as DIY is part of home life too!

Possibly ask for photos of the families doing domestic activities, so Jonny and gran washing up put next to the sink etc.

Edited by Guest

For this new term we are adding small ikea lamps, they were very chear and the bulb is covered with the shape bit so can't burn.

The best advise is real objects my pound shop has some great stainless steel bowls and bits.

We have real knives and forks that didn't go down well at first but are now also in playdough tools

my children are all baby orientated (both boys and girls) so we tend to offer dolls and accompanying resources as extras that tie in with it.

boxes, material and rugs/carpet squares go down well too.

Thanks, I think they are good resources, specially as the babies are beginning to use some imagination.

We have added a Radio,hats,real food,old mobiles, bags, a toy dog plus basket and bowl, books e.g families,cooking etc, baby items e.g bottles, nappies, baby cup, highchair, small pushchair. Hope this helps :o

Wow that is imaginative, thanks I will add these to my list!

I like to have as much real stuff as possible - real phone, old recipe books with loads of good pictures, possibly some real food sometimes.

Also if you have high ceilings, it can be nice to add a drape to make a lower ceiling.

ANother thing I have done is to sometimes put the workbench in, as DIY is part of home life too!

Possibly ask for photos of the families doing domestic activities, so Jonny and gran washing up put next to the sink etc.

I like the photos idea - it could help the young children to feel more comfortable with familiar photos and the real stuff, I always like a recipe book in the home corner. Thanks

I have got our premises officer to put up retractable washing lines on the walls where our role play is. They are great for pulling out and draping things over to create different spaces.

I'd never thought of that one!

For this new term we are adding small ikea lamps, they were very chear and the bulb is covered with the shape bit so can't burn.

The best advise is real objects my pound shop has some great stainless steel bowls and bits.

We have real knives and forks that didn't go down well at first but are now also in playdough tools

I think its a really good idea to have real things, as long as they are risk assessed and children supervised properly I think they can only add extra play value Thanks

I save old smelly bottles ie hot chocolate bottles, empty washing powders etc, spice bottles for that extra touch of realism.

I had thought about real bottles and empty food packaging but had not thought about choosing ones that had a smell, what a good idea!

• 2 months later...

:o the idea of the lamps and the washing line.

We have recently purchased some Ikea children's kitchen items. They do little saucepans etc, but rather than cheap plastic, they are metal and really do look and feel like miniature adult items.

Cheers

George

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)