Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problem Solving With Babies And Toddlers

Please could anyone give me any new ideas? I have recently done Peekabo, hiding toys under blankets, filling various sized containers with water, finding plastic shapes in the sand . . .

I'm just looking for some inspiration. The childeren are aged from 9 months to 2 years.

Thank you. :oxD

Please could anyone give me any new ideas? I have recently done Peekabo, hiding toys under blankets, filling various sized containers with water, finding plastic shapes in the sand . . .

I'm just looking for some inspiration. The childeren are aged from 9 months to 2 years.

Thank you. :oxD

I agree, treasure baskets, the traditional ones are ideal for babies up to 9 months but are not so suitable for those over 9 months as then they become more mobile and can move the contents around and begin to throw them. Heuristic play baskets or discovery baskets though are ideal, particularly with lots of simple resources such as tubes and balls, bangles, shells, boxes, bags, purses anything really that is safe and doesn't have a particular purpose for a toddler. They will find endless ways to put things into boxes and bags, begin to show preferences and sort and see if they can fit different size objects into the tubes - and hey ho - will they come out of the other end? Your role in this is to support but to let them do the exploring so you will have plenty of time for observations. Its best to have heuristic play materials in a clear area with a small group of children so they can't get side tracked. You will find they engage for unusually amounts of time. I have attached a list of heurisitic play resources for you to look at - if you don't mind! I'm rather passionate about it!

Heuristic_play.doc

I tend to think of babies as naturally inquisitive problem finders. They will solve problems when they find one.

As littlesatnav has give you lots of ideas for resources, which are great, I think this is the key. You provide the environment to explore, they will find the problems to solve, and will often involve getting to and from places and spaces; bringing things into reach (finding steps or objects to move other objects); getting things into and out of boxes etc; and of course..what happens if I....

Babies can be fascinated with such problems for ages, and watching all manor of their facial expressions and comments really do tell a story, as they go along.

Have a go, sit back and watch, and you will soon see your babies finding and solving all sorts of problems..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)