Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Organise Your Lessons?

I could just do with a bit of feedback on how other recption teachers plan and organise their days. I work in a one form entry and have no one else to talk to or to plan with. I am teaching phonics/lit in the first session to the whole class for 15 mins then I send them off to a chosen activity that is linked to our general topic but not necessarily to the lesson introduction!? I then keep one group to work with myself or the TA based on what we have been looking at as a whole class. I repeat this for maths and then in the afternoon I try and do more KUW/Creative focus work. I am finding that the same children go to the same activity if I dont choose them to be in a teacher led activity. I have previously taught in year 3 and year 1 and wasnt early years trained so have no idea on how it is suggested by ofsted we organise the day/activities! Any ideas would be great! Thanks xx

Hi marbles I work in Kent and here is a link to the Early Years website where they have examples of a morning and an afternoon timetable.

http://www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/ask8/ask8_e...s_resources.cfm

I work very much to this and when it is small group time both my TA and myself work with a group while other children work on adult led independent activities. We do daily phoinics in the morning with us both taking a group for this activity but I don't do daily maths but intorduce it into other activities. At child initiated time both myself and my TA will have one child each that we do an observation on and the rest of the time we play with the children. We also don't do our observation at the beginning of the session we usulaly wait until we feel the child is engrossed in something.

My TA is paid to work full time and until 4pm so at the end of each day we take time to discuss what we have seen with the chidlren and to plan the next day.

Good luck!

Emilia

Hi marbles I work in Kent and here is a link to the Early Years website where they have examples of a morning and an afternoon timetable.

I work very much to this and when it is small group time both my TA and myself work with a group while other children work on adult led independent activities.

Hi Emilia- I'm in kent too and follow the same examples except for a few tweeks to suit me and the class because I found a few probs with this part:

10.45 - 11.15 Teacher directed input (Possible curriculum focus, mathematical development)

11.15 - 11.45 Teacher directed in-put. (Possible curriculum focus story, poetry, singing, guided reading)

can you explain how it works for you? Do you do a carpet input the small groups? is it a bit muddly?

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

Just wanted to say thanks for your posts - I thought I was the only one worrying about lesson organisation!!

Your link was a great help, I'm starting a new job in September and it's really helped with organising my new class.

Emma

:o

Hi Emilia- I'm in kent too and follow the same examples except for a few tweeks to suit me and the class because I found a few probs with this part:

10.45 - 11.15 Teacher directed input (Possible curriculum focus, mathematical development)

11.15 - 11.45 Teacher directed in-put. (Possible curriculum focus story, poetry, singing, guided reading)

can you explain how it works for you? Do you do a carpet input the small groups? is it a bit muddly?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting timetable/routine.

I would interprete that as being adult led group activities as well as a teaching focus time as oppossed to CI time.

Interesting timetable/routine.

I would interprete that as being adult led group activities as well as a teaching focus time as oppossed to CI time.

Yes thats right, in kent we are advised to have seperate adult led and CI activities rather than running alongside each other at the same time. What confused me is the timings- 2 slots of 30 mins, I would be interested to know what this looks like in practice.

Thanks Emilia for your link.

I have used the Kent examples as the basis for my re-jigged timetable.

If anyone has any thoughts on it I'd be grateful, but also thought others might see what I'm planning to do.....unless I change it again (I just don't know what's best!)

Timetable_Sept_2010.docx

purplemagic x

ETA: the table at the bottom was an attempt to see roughly how much CI v AD time the children would be getting (and by AD time I mean teacher led activities and small group activities, plus PE - not included things like assembly which I know are AD but you know.... :o ) Oh and also....the I really like the tidying up having its own slots as last year's lot were terrible when it came to tidying up so maybe making a thing of it together will help for this year......wishful thinking?!

Edited by Guest

Hey,

I have been following this topic with interest and think the timetable is fab. I went on the Kent website and thought it was really helpful. Does the webiste suggest a planning format or does anyone have one that I could look at? I recently went on the Islington Council website and their planning format looks good but I am not sure how it is referenced to the EYFS goals etc. I have a good lesson plan format for individual activities and a weekly plan for what is going to be put out each day in each area (do you add learning objectives to this plan?)

Sorry, bit of a confusing post but want to get things sorted and clear in my mind before I start in September.

Thanks

Hey,

I have been following this topic with interest and think the timetable is fab. I went on the Kent website and thought it was really helpful. Does the webiste suggest a planning format or does anyone have one that I could look at? I recently went on the Islington Council website and their planning format looks good but I am not sure how it is referenced to the EYFS goals etc. I have a good lesson plan format for individual activities and a weekly plan for what is going to be put out each day in each area (do you add learning objectives to this plan?)

Sorry, bit of a confusing post but want to get things sorted and clear in my mind before I start in September.

Thanks

there are some useful planning templates here:

http://eyfs.durhamlea.org.uk/observationplanningassessmnet/

I started doing Daily Plans at some point last year (started it when I had a week where I was in and out with courses) and they have worked really well. They have the objectives on (which are pretty similar for the week, though can change if needed), a daily timetable and then plans for adult directed activities.

I still do weekly phonics planning though - that is separate.

Thanks in advance!

Hi missc

Sorry for the delay I have been on holiday!

From 10.45 - 11.45 it is all teacher directed but myself and my TA work with small groups and while doing this the other children are working on teacher directed activities. Sometimes it is carpet work sometimes table top and sometimes we will do small activities outdoor. The activity is guided by the need. So if it is a maths focus the independent activities will be available for children indoors and out to work on independently. Children know they will be called at some time to work with me or my TA and it works very well. Sometimes the groups are ability but this is usually towards the end of the year, so they are ostly mixed ability. I do guided reading in this time as well as guided writing, introduce new materiasls, concepts etc with small groups and then introduce the resounces into my continuous provision. At rehe beginning of term I will not use this timetable for the first two or three weeks as it will be mostly freeflow so we can get to know the children and they can get to know the environment.

It works for me but I think it is important that everyone finds what suits them and their children best. I am very lucky and have a very supportive SMT with a headteacher who has a background in EYs.

Emilia

Edited by Guest

HI,

I have also been reading this with interest as I am forever questionning myself, as I too am a solo reception teacher. The documents added are very helpful, thanks.

Emilia, when you say you work with a group, as does your LSA and the rest are adult directed (is this also classed as child-led?), how well do they get on with these activities alone? and towards the end of the year, will you make the tasks more related to the carpet session eg an independent piece of literacy - say a drawing that they have to label, independently? Im just trying to gauge what everyone's end target is - not that Im training them to be Year1. But my Prof Dev target for next year is to make a certain percentage of chn reach Scale Point 9 in writing - worrying about this slightly already! :o

Thanks

HI,

I have also been reading this with interest as I am forever questionning myself, as I too am a solo reception teacher. The documents added are very helpful, thanks.

Emilia, when you say you work with a group, as does your LSA and the rest are adult directed (is this also classed as child-led?), how well do they get on with these activities alone? and towards the end of the year, will you make the tasks more related to the carpet session eg an independent piece of literacy - say a drawing that they have to label, independently? Im just trying to gauge what everyone's end target is - not that Im training them to be Year1. But my Prof Dev target for next year is to make a certain percentage of chn reach Scale Point 9 in writing - worrying about this slightly already! :o

Thanks

Wow! I wonder what level your children are currently at - and what the percentage you're expected to get to Scale Point 9!! I may be rather mean in my allocation of scale points, but I remember only ever giving one child a Scale Point 9 (knowing I think that he was "above the norm"), - I remember going for varification to the moderation meeting feeling a little bit scared about putting him forward. (He did get a 9 by the way). I would be concerned if your Professional Development Targets are being set by someone who is not completely at home with the profile points. I'm sure writing has been highlighted as one of the areas which scores low - I certainly know from discussions with other Reception Teachers that this is the area that causes the most anxiety as many children just aren't ready for writing! I also find that children can achieve certain points in writing during 'adult directed tasks', but during child initiated play, imaginative play just takes over and they quite simply 'can't be bothered' with the literacy side of things!

I really don't think that is appropriate to set a target like that! It will depend on the children's entry level. I had a little girl last year who was a fantastic writer with phonetic spelling and imagination, but still wasn't using full stops consistently so didn't get point 9! In my opinion the profile should be being used in this way. Does your senior leadership understand the profile and EYFS? I agree that it is easier to get children displaying higher scale points in adult led guided writing but they should still not be awarded the point if they do not demonstrate this in their child initiated play. x

I really don't think that is appropriate to set a target like that! It will depend on the children's entry level. I had a little girl last year who was a fantastic writer with phonetic spelling and imagination, but still wasn't using full stops consistently so didn't get point 9! In my opinion the profile should be being used in this way. Does your senior leadership understand the profile and EYFS? I agree that it is easier to get children displaying higher scale points in adult led guided writing but they should still not be awarded the point if they do not demonstrate this in their child initiated play. x

SORRY MEANT SHOULD NOT BE BEING USED IN THIS WAY!

Yes my thoughts too. But I am the only EYFS class and no, I dont think anyone really understands very well. I havent even been given my targets in writing yet. So cant remember the percentage - they were discussed at the end of the summer term. Unfortunately, my head is also linked to another school where the teacher has chn writing 5 and 6 sentences with capitals and full stops. I would imagine (and hope) that they were adult led and therefore shouldnt be count, but I dont know!

It doesnt help when you are compared to someone like that!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)