Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Carpet Session With Parents

Hi all, another post about first week I'm afraid!

During the first week the children come in, in small groups with their parents. Nothing is really planned apart from the carpet sessions that I lead. I like to use these times as an opportunity to show the parents the type of things we do and to educate them a little bit.

I always do the same type of stuff and am in need of some more inspiration.

The carpet sessions last about 10 mins and the sort of stuff I have done in the past is....

• Phase One phonic games - I think it's really important for the parents to see what we do before we introduce letters.
  • Jumping up and down number lines - this helps the parents to see that they don't have to be sitting down and also how to use a number line as some parents struggle with this.
  • What's under the sheet type game - focussing on thinking outside the box, reasoning and questioning skills.
  • Describing items behind a screen and the children have to guess wha they are, then they can have a go. The parents are always surprised at how many skills this involves!
  • Pass the parcel, where they have to describe what they can feel

This should give you an idea of the type of things I do BUT what else can I do?

The carpet sessions last about 10 mins

This should give you an idea of the type of things I do BUT what else can I do?

Does it have to be on the carpet? I would take the opportunity to show the parents a range of different things for different areas of learning, particularly anything that you find you have 'problems' over with parents. For example we find many of our chn don't come in appropraite clothing for outside learning- I would do a session in the garden and use it as an tool to explain and ask for chn to come with wellies, coats etc. Saying that, it could be a 'carpet time' session outside- jumping on a numberline on the ground, collecting number cards etc.

Hi, we also have small groups of parents and children for the first few days. I love the 'what's under the sheet' idea.

I try to sing traditional nursery rhymes with props and tell (short) traditional stories as many of our parents don't know these. Sometimes they are willing to contribute rhymes from other cultures which is brilliant, though singing in a small group can be a bit daunting.

We try to introduce the class soft toy during these days - the toy will be sent home with a diary later in the year, so I make last year's diary available to look through so it's not a nasty shock! We also introduce the children to each other - roll the ball across the carpet for example - and I try to involve parents in that as they often don't know each other either. I was toying with getting the parachute out this year....

I also take the opportunity of 'captive' parents to pass round my laundry marker pen so that un-named clothes can be labelled!!

It all seems to be approaching very fast! Mary

We are lucky that our parents stay with their child for the whole of the first morning - and others too if they want in the early days - so there is time for introduction of classroom routines and so on.

For that first session, I'd think about what key part of your ethos you're wanting to convey as you obviously won't be able to show them loads of different stuff. I'd focus on going for some of the things that might be controversial further down the line, so you can have the discussions as soon as possible and initiated by you, so maybe messy play, outdoors, golden rules ... the kind of things that parents don't always 'get' and sometimes take issue with.

For me, it would be outdoors!

Brilliant idea of catching parents to label the clothes!! :o

You have made good points, perhaps outdoors is the way forward, especially because I am well known in the school for being messy and some parents have complained about the amount of washing they have to do!!

Anyone got any inspirational outdoor activities?

Only 10 min activities I can think of off the top of my head are.....

A number/object hunt

Water painting

Gross motor movement linked to handwriting like spinning with umbrellas and marching with wheel barrows etc.

Making a scoring game

Any other ideas?

We are lucky that our parents stay with their child for the whole of the first morning - and others too if they want in the early days - so there is time for introduction of classroom routines and so on.

Do you find that the chn find it difficult the next day when their parent/carer isn't staying? I have considered having parents stay for the first session, but have wondered if it is better to get chn used to the fact that they will be left without their parent? would be interested to hear others thoughts on this?

I find that it depends on the parents. All our parents come for a half session with their child, then the next half session they come on their own. Most parents are great and make this very clear and have a really positive vibe when talking to their chidlren about this. However, some I'm afraid to say actually lie to their chidlren and tell then they will be staying for the next session or say "we'll see, let's ask Mrs Smith".

Your always going to get those that make it difficult but on the whole we don't have any problems with it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)