Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Ideas?

Just a quick one. Any ideas for a topic to do instead of famous people? My colleague is doing this topic and she has Year 1/2. I have the remaining Year 1's and R's but feel famous people might be a little tricky. My EY advisor frowned when I told her what the topic was. Already doing People who help us so need to think of something differnt but still close with next door's topic.

Lots x

Just a quick one. Any ideas for a topic to do instead of famous people? My colleague is doing this topic and she has Year 1/2. I have the remaining Year 1's and R's but feel famous people might be a little tricky. My EY advisor frowned when I told her what the topic was. Already doing People who help us so need to think of something differnt but still close with next door's topic.

Lots x

Hi

I had this problem last year as I have YR and summer born Y1s. We did Guy Faulkes and linked with Bonfire Night, Mary Seacole for Black History month and Louis Braille because we had a VI child in the class and had Braille all over the place. I agree it is a problem trying to teach Y1/2 topics to YR. We run on a 2 year cycle and Y1 topics not so bad but Y2 is not right in my opinion. Also have a problem because on a 2 year cycle so the YR children repeat the topics in Year 2 which is crazy. I would really like to just do my own thing but then my Year 1s miss out - any ideas on how to organise this would be very welcome.

Julie xx

cant advise as don't do year one but as a mum i used to get really cross when subjects were repeated --- i cannot tell you how often my children did the tudors and world war 2...there are other periods in history out there :o (sorry slight rant - bit fed up!)

Guest littlemissblonde

Lots x

What about who are the famous characters in my stories

Hi

I had this problem last year as I have YR and summer born Y1s. We did Guy Faulkes and linked with Bonfire Night, Mary Seacole for Black History month and Louis Braille because we had a VI child in the class and had Braille all over the place. I agree it is a problem trying to teach Y1/2 topics to YR. We run on a 2 year cycle and Y1 topics not so bad but Y2 is not right in my opinion. Also have a problem because on a 2 year cycle so the YR children repeat the topics in Year 2 which is crazy. I would really like to just do my own thing but then my Year 1s miss out - any ideas on how to organise this would be very welcome.

Julie xx

I don't think you should see it in terms of your year ones 'missing out' if they don't get taught the same thing as the other year one/two class. It's the skills they learn through doing the topics that are the most important part. Perhaps it would be better if you just did a totally seperate set of themes or topics in order to avoid the repetition. Of course you might get a few parents who comment on the fact that the other class are doing something different but if you explain your reasoning to them hopefully there wouldn't be too much fuss.

our school is an old small community infant school the school put together a history of the school using photos registers etc in the very early days there was a punishment book with pupils names and the punishment most of this with a strap! they invited people from the local community that had attended the school parents,grandparents famous ex pupils who in turn added valuable pics and info about when they attended . one of the ex pupils works on shaun the sheep he came in with lots of things and did an art class on animation.

it was brill , it snowballed into a huge whole school and community display with old pupils staying on as friends of the school. the children benifited in lots of ways they learnt about their own community history and the people in it if you see what I mean.

not sure if it is any good as an idea ofsted loved it

sue

Personally I don't think that the topics you cover are that important. I view the topics as a context for learning skills - the importance is the skills you teach. The topic should interest the children and theu should be able to apply thw skills you teach to any topic - so they are not really missing out! I agree with you that famous people is a bit hard for reception but if you follow children's interests by asking them, e.g. famous characters etc as mentioned above then it will work well! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)