Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Opportunity Groups

I've come across the term 'Opportunity Groups' and wondered exactly what they are how they work in Early Years, particularly in relation to autism. All information about their organisation, and how successful they are would be most welcome.

Hi Judith

We have a nursery just 30 seconds walk from us which is an inclusive nursery. It is called Charnwood and you can find the website here. They have an opportunity group session every afternoon. The sessions are basically like a parent and toddler group but a bit more formal and structured.

Hope this helps.

Linda

In our area they are more as a pre-school for children with special needs, giving support to children parents, carers, and provide an inclusion service to allow the children to attend their local pre-school as well.

They offer 1:1 support in the pre-school for children with special needs and also are always available for advice and help with the children in the settings - we usually have at least one child with a support worker attending, they suppluy a support worker for 2 days a week and we offer support for any more if needed, but they help us a lot.

we have also found it easy to refer a child to them who we felt needed the additional help.

Springboard

They also offer training and help for pre-schools and are always very helpful and approachable.

Inge

Now lets see if I've got this business of replying right because at my first attempt I just sent my first message again. :o

Thanks Linda and Inge, you were both really helpful and now I have something to think about as there doesn't seem to be anything like this in our area.

Judith :D

• 1 year later...
In our area they are more as a pre-school for children with special needs, giving support to children parents, carers, and provide an inclusion service to allow the children to attend their local pre-school as well. 

They offer 1:1 support in the pre-school for children with special needs and also are always available for advice and help with the children in the settings - we usually have at least one child with a support worker attending, they suppluy a support worker for 2 days a week and we offer support for any more if needed, but they help us a lot.

we have also found it easy to refer a child to them who we felt needed the additional help. 

Springboard

They also offer training and help for pre-schools and are always very helpful and approachable.

Inge

27844[/snapback]

Now lets see if I've got this business of replying right because at my first attempt I just sent my first message again.  :o

Thanks Linda and Inge, you were both really helpful and now I have something to think about as there doesn't seem to be anything like this in our area.

Judith :D

27904[/snapback]

Hi Judith

This is my first reply so it may get posted or not!

I actually work at the Opportunity Group that Inge was quoting. It is always a pleasure to work with Inge and her staff!

Springboard has website which you might find interesting.

It is www.springboardweb.org.uk

Diane

hi Dianne,

Found the site I see, welcome and dont get too hooked!!

You are the first person on here who has actually said they know me! its my secret source of a wealth of information!! :D

Not seen you for a while but always good to hear from you.

Inge

Edited by Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)