Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books About Jobs For Writing Opportunities

I'm creating some 'writing boxes' for next year for my year one class. These will contain small role play items and writing opportunities regarding a range of jobs. At the moment I'm looking to start with police, detective, teacher and maybe author or builder.

I need to teach the children how to use these resources appropriately though as they haven't seen anything like it before and I'm not sure they had much role play last year.

Are there any books anyone could recommend (fiction or non fiction) that show what sort of things these people do? I'm hoping to read them to the class one a day or one a week then introduce the appropriate box so they'll have an idea of what all the different things are for and how these jobs use writing.

Wow they look fab! Thanks, I might make one or two purchases.

Only thing is they are quite expensive so I couldn't buy more than a couple (it's my own money and I'm buying a lot of other stuff), are there any cheaper options that anyone knows of? Could just be stories involving these professions, they don't have to cover everything about it.

Bob the builder, he or Wendy seem to do a fair bit of writing using pads and clipboards.

Postman Pat delivers, Mrs Gogins is at the post office. The Post office used to do a resource pack for nurseries.

I dont watch any childrens TV now so thats the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid.

Doctors and nurses or health visitors are usually writing.

Edited by Rea

Guest LornaW
Wow they look fab! Thanks, I might make one or two purchases.

Only thing is they are quite expensive so I couldn't buy more than a couple (it's my own money and I'm buying a lot of other stuff), are there any cheaper options that anyone knows of? Could just be stories involving these professions, they don't have to cover everything about it.

Kariana I know what you mean about costs so why not ask your local library if they have these books or if they would get them for you? It is worth a try!

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)