Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Straight Into Cp Of Carpet Time First?

Currently the children come in in the morning sort themselves out and go straight onto the carpet. We take it in turns as staff to meet and greet and chat to any parents that need to talk. However I am thinking of changing things but not quite sure how.

In sept there will be 40 children (across 2 classes) in a shared cloakroom and large classroom. To have all these children entering the cloakroom at once, plus adults is not going to put the new ones at ease! I have toyed with the idea of parents coming into the classroom to settle children and join in CP, which should ease the pressure in the cloakroom. Then starting out carpet time 15 mins later. But my concerns are:

1. I hate the idea of stopping the children mid flow (which goes against everything the EYFS states) to then start carpet time. Starting the day with carpet time therefore avoids this issue.
  2. Sometimes you have things out that you don't want the children playing with straight away. If it's a teacher led activity.
  3. we don't have any problem getting parents through the door, competely the opposite and i know many would see it as an opportunity to have a mini parent's evening every morning.
  4. Becoming a child care service for the younger siblings.

What works for you?

An LA advisor has been trying to sell this idea to me but I just can't see it being that beneficial. Also the mornings are short enough anyway, if we start 15 minutes later we will never get round to doing things.

Share your thoughts!

When I started this job the children all came in and sat on carpet, waiting for others to arrive - we open at 8.45 and doors 'close' at 8.55 - and waited and waited and waited - we do have a 'drift to school' attitude! So I decided to go with the free flow from 8.45 - brill for kids and really useful way of doing early doors observations!

I also share your concerns about stopping the flow, but now I do my carpet time to fit in with children - I can usually tell, by close monitoring of 4 or 5 'stalwarts', when the chosen activities are 'done' - that's when we 'put out the lights' and call to carpet - if anyone 'protests', we put models etc aside 'for later' - witha great hoo-hah about going back to it later etc and they are all fine!

We also have to fit in with going to school assemblies at times - on these days we make good use of 'the drape' and the closed sign - to cover up the areas out of bounds for now - the children know why and soon accept this - try it and see - the pay off is a HUGE rise in involvement and engagement for all children, but particularly the shyer, quieter ones who just like to come in and 'do'!

Good luck!

Jenni

Many years ago when I was working in a nursery before it became fashionable for everyone to come together at the start of the session, the children came into play as they arrived! They knew which tables would have adults working at them and either sat and waited or watched for the activity to begin!

You will need to make any changes part of your routine for both you, the children and the parents so dont be tempted to engage in parent consultations and establish what you expect from day 1.

Good luck.

Our door opens at 8.45 and children are supposed to be in by 8.50 but some drift in as late as 9.00. The parents bring them into class, help them put their coats away etc and settle them at an activity - some table top things are set up and they can use the sand or computer. They are not allowed to use the creative area as this is usually set up for the day. I love doing it this way because it gives children a relaxed entranced and allows parents to settle them before dashing off. We do tidy up time at 9.05 (ish) depends on how the children are doing. We then sit down for register. The activities I set up for this time are things like jigsaws or threading cards so can easily be put away. If children are particuarly engaged in something we leave it one side for them to continue. I also love having a chance to chat to parents informally about any concerns or to share their learning stories etc.

Works for us! x

Personally I would go with what I think a couple of people have mentioned indirectly here which is put out some table top activities (bead threading/jigsaws/tabletop small world/games etc) which the children can use when they first come in. You will find that the children quickly get into the routine of knowing that they can only play with what is out and also knowing where they can't go (good for keeping them away from adult led activities or anything that will take ages to clear up or that might be a shame to break up such as role play or construction).

Parents could come in and settle them but personally I'm not a huge fan of this. I think that for most children coming in and going straight to play will be enough of an interesting start to the day that they don't need this support. Plus I always find that for some children the parent coming in to play for a few minutes then leaving is even worse than them just dropping them off at the door and going. I'm know it does work well in some cases, but for the majority of children I think it can send out mixed messages and cause more problems than it solves. (Am I being incredibly controversial there? :o)

Our parents bring the children in (which I like as it gives me the opportunity to be available to chat if needed), but once their child has done their coat, lunchbox, bookbag, etc, they go off to play and parents go - they don't stay and play. Have a feeling I would never get rid of them!!

For some strange reason, on the day of our trip to the zoo, the children had to arrive 10 mins early due to coach (and meeding to go to the toilet etc beforehand!), and as I was about to start sorting children out, I realised most parents were hanging around still, so I said that parents could go, thinking, 'please go away, I want to get on with the day and don't need you staying!' - I didn't stay that though!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)