Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Planning

Hi all,

I am moving to reception after two years in year 1 to take over from a teacher who has been in reception for 25 years! She was not happy about moving and has therefore left nothing!

I have had a very long week organising the classroom, ripping out cupboards, removing tables and setting up areas of continuous provision and I'm now ready to start planning but that's where I have ground to a halt!

I'm not sure whether to plan around themes, what to include and whether to do weekly or daily planning and that's where I hoped you all might be able to help? Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you in anticipation.

I do weekly phonics planning and then daily plans - this could well not be 'right' but it works for me.

However, for first couple of weeks, we do lots of playing with the children and introducing the continous provision so I don't tend to do daily plans then - just go with the flow to begin with :o

Hi,

We first mapped out the year according to festivals, events organised by school, etc as a long-term reminder. We decided to start the term with Nursery Rhymes as they have lots of potential and you can easily adapt them to the children's interests.

Phonics will be based on Letters and Sounds Phase 1 to start with.

Good luck!

What a great opportunity for transition! I get the impression your Reception colleague doesn't see it that way!

Beware the topic, as it rarely engages truely child led learning!

You may find my previous post useful http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...c=25833&hl=

feel free to send me a message and I will help where I can.

I have a number of planning formats that may be of use to you!

Alistair

ABC Does.com

Early Years Consultnacy

07772 387 203

Beware the topic, as it rarely engages truely child led learning!

Alistair

Whilst I think we all agree with you in the main I do think we need to be cautious and not throw everything out. I think when children first start it is useful to have something in one's mind to capture their interest. I'm sure most of us spend the first few weeks getting to know the children, their names, families, interests, so we may call that 'myself', 'or all about me' or 'getting to know you'.. whatever, and plan some activities to support everyone getting to know each other and then go with the flow. I like the idea of the nursery rhyme theme mentioned above for a reception group to give an anchor to the days and sing familiar songs with the children or learn new ones. I think we need to be sure that we differentiate between going with the flow as well as introducing new ideas when appropriate, and pedantically following a pre-planned topic regardless.

Hi Happyteacher,

With regards to planning formats, I have found looking on various boroughs' websites quite helpful.

I have found Islington's site quite useful and will probably use their weekly planner pro forma as it incorporates the focus children's needs and interests as well as general planning based on the 6 areas of EYFS.

Here's a link to the site: http://www.islington.gov.uk/Education/earl...ren/default.asp

As a pre-school manager who had struggled to fit activities into 'themes' every day, I was dead against themes and all for planning based on children's interests. However, I have been planning based on children's interests for 3 years now and since I have been teaching reception I now don't see the problem of having a bit of both (theme that we teach in some areas and a mini theme for children's interests). For example, our theme for the half term may be Autumn which we will cover through the interest table/creative area/outdoor play, but the children may show a keen interest in being hairdressers, so we might change the role play area into a hairdressing salon with money, appointment cards etc.

As long as we have a purpose for our planning and good learning outcomes, I am sure the children will benefit.

I plan daily (hand written), but use one weekly sheet with 6 areas. So if the children were interested in making paper aeroplanes one day, I would plan to do the same for the next day and write it into the PSRN area for 'using positional language'.

I hope this makes sense! I have trialled and errored on curriculum planning for many years and feel I am constantly learning and adapting my practice as I go along. You will probably find it will be the same for you......good luck in reception. If you need any more advice, just ask!

Edited by millhill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)