Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Up In The Air

Hi there, after easter my topic is 'up in the air' and as this is a new topic to my school and i'm an NQT i have never taught this. I was wondering if anybody else has and could inspire me with their ideas. I thought about changing my role-play area into an aeroplane-anyone done this before??i need ideas mainly for my craft and writing area. :o

Oh I am soooo envious!!

I am not a teacher though.

We had our children make their own planes, the results were great and very varied! We hung them all from the ceiling at different heights but maybe you could have other things hanging, like hot air balloons. We had huge clouds too that the children had collaged and a poem that escapes me!!

Something like.

Little silver aeroplane up in the sky

where are you going flying so high

Oops no! that's wrong, maybe Little silver aeroplane flying so high

Arghhhhh!!!! :o I know it ends with Oh little silver aeroplane won't you please take me!

Does anyone else know it??? xD

Could the writing area incorporate making tickets, luggage labels??

Clipboard and paper for the pilot to write on??

We used a little shopping trolley from the shop as the hostess trolley and used food and drink from the home corner.

Sorry this is rather garbled sure others will be along sooon! Hope you have as much fun with it as we did!! :D

Thanks Geraldine for the super quick reply, hopefully others may know the rest of the song (and any others!!!) Do you know any good story books to link to this topic? Its not quite as easy as finding books for other topics! x

Hi there, after easter my topic is 'up in the air' and as this is a new topic to my school and i'm an NQT i have never taught this. I was wondering if anybody else has and could inspire me with their ideas. I thought about changing my role-play area into an aeroplane-anyone done this before??i need ideas mainly for my craft and writing area. :o

27767[/snapback]

Have done the role play aeroplane before - worked well. Use tape recorder for pilot "the plane will be landing in ...... 5minutes - thank you for using ............... school airlines" (good IT link - ch. can record themselves).

We also visited a travel agents, made passports and boarding cards.

We have a toy that goes home with children in class - if anyone is going away over Easter would be good to take toy with them and share news from holiday - could bring back boarding passes/postcards etc.

up in the air - could also do birds eye view drawings - is there somewhere ch. can stand and look at objects from different perspectives???? top of slide/climbing frame?

Crafts - could they make suitcase for their teddy out of cereal boxes? Turn inside out, add handle and decorate????

Have fun!!

Marmite

One giant jumbo jet

ready for the flight

one giant jumbo jet

doors closed tight

the engines start a- roaring

everything is fine

start down the runway

following a line

the wings are all silver

the jets all aglow

pull back the joystick

and up we go

(Brian Thompson)

Little silver aeroplane

up in the sky

where are you going to

flying so high

over the mountains

over the sea

little silver aeroplane

please take me

Of course you could do helicopters too!!

I'm a little helicopter

sitting on the ground

these are my rotor blades

slowly turning round

faster now and faster

they're spinning like a top

take off, turn around

touch down and

stop

(Brian thompson again!)

Then of course there are birds 'in the air' :D:D

Re up in the air:

How about The Blue Balloon by Mick Inkpen?

you could look at balloon travel, parachutes, balloon prints, make different sounds with balloons, small world moon scape, (from story)balloon races- write messages on balloons and let them go on a windy day, see if anyone writes back, (I cheated on this one and got a friend to write back to the children)

Also kites are a good resource to use-design and decorate, make a number line, shape -any help?

Barb

Could also incororporate wind, what will blow away in the wind, if not why not, we used items and looked at if they could be blown away, we used a fan indoors for this experiment. also outdoors if you are lucky.

story and the wind blew - sorry cannot remeber author at present but it about items being blown away by the wind up into the air.

Inge

To the last post, the book ou are thinking about is Mrs Mopples Washing Line can't remember who wrote it but its a great book and pretty old!

Hi there - A book I have used is One windy Wednesday - Phyllis Root ISBN no 0-7445-4073-9

You can role play the story - good for sequencing too.I made the animals and the bubbles - it was great.

Abi

Just another thought what about parachutes made from tissue paper various sizes with paper clips attached to cotton. Put holes in some and not others - discuss why some come down faster.

nikki

Hi

There's a great book called "Someone Bigger" about flying a kite, just can't think of the author. Will check and get back - probably Tuesday now, though!

And those parachutes are great!

Sue :D

If you want to diverge to rockets - there is of course

Whatever Next by Jill Murphy. There are lots of things you can incorporate with this book: counting on and backwards to zero, cardboard box.

What would the children take to the moon? a big cardboard box and a culinder for role play etc.... its a lovely book You could make a moonscape in the sand.

There is also mog goes to the moon in the meg and mog series.

Sounds like a great topic!

HI Midge and welcome! :D

obvioulsy everyone was so engrossed up there in the air that they didnt notice you pop in with your first post. Hope it will be the first of many and you will forgive us not welcoming you sooner.

You could make autogyros - they're like tiny helecopter blades and spin beautifully when dropped - our playground has two levels so children can go onto top and drop them down to the bottom. These are good for investigations - make them with paper of different weights. Put paperclips on the bottom and see how this effects them. Try making them different sizes. They are fairly simple to make. You get a rectangle of paper and fold - will look up proper details if you're interested - they're in a file somewhere!!!

Good luck with this topic - we're doing transport and journey's in the summer term and will be doing lots of the things mentioned here. :o

Harricroft.

PS - We use Topsy and Tim at the Airport(?) as our role play area will be an airport and plane.

Harricroft,

Yes please, would be interested in proper details as I am a complete duffer at that sort of thing. We are doing Land, sea and space next half term, so would fit well, I think.

Cheers!

Sue :D

Glad to be of help Sue and Susan. Instructions for making autogyros following - it's actually easier than it might seem written down!!

Get a rectangle of paper 20cm x 6cm. Fold in half to make a shape 10cm x6cm. On one half draw a fold line 2cm down from the crease. Then draw a line from the cut edge up to this fold line up the middle of the rectangle and then cut along this line (so you get a pair of legs and a waistband if you see what I mean?) Then turn to the other side and draw two fold line from the bottom to the crease line, so you end up with 3 x 2cm columns. Cut along the crease line to the first fold line, and repeat on the other side. Fold the 2cm columns in onto the middle column. Hold in place with a paper clip. Fold along the 'waistband' and then bend one of the legs to the other side so that you end up with what looks like rotary blades. Throw up into the air, (or drop from your bedroom window :o ) and, fingers crossed, it should twirl down.

As I say it's easier to make than give instructions. I've given measurements to make it easier, but I'm sure I've made different sized ones in the past.

Good luck - I hope it works.

Harricroft

Oh! I also found this whilst looking for the autogyro instruction - an idea for a kite - it looks really simple, but I've never actually made it.

Take a polystyrene tile, heavy duty thread, three flat buttons and paper or ribbon for a tail.

Thread the thread through the tile on two corners and fasten through a button. Do the same on the opposite edge but put it in the middle of the edge rather than a corner. Attach a tail decorated with ribbon or crepe paper twists. Fasten a thread to join the three pieces of thread, this will be the bit you hold.

As I say it looks really simple but I'll be making it first to see whether it actually works.

Hope these instructions make sense!!

Harricroft.

One for role play and imagination is a flying carpet. We sat the children in small groups on a rug and pretended it could fly. We went to all sorts of places. Then we gave them a piece of a4 paper with a border printed around the edge that looked like a carpet. The middle was blank so they could draw a picture of where they would like to go on a flying carpet. Some of them were obvious like grandmas or to the park but others really used their imaginations, flying to a jungle or to the desert.

Linda

Had an airport inside last term, and made the aeroplane from our many left-over fruit boxes and put it outdoors - seemed a really good idea to link inside and outside - then it snowed & snowed and kind of messed the idea up a bit. Still, I still think it's a really good idea.

Dianne xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)