Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Pay Entitlement

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Ok, this is a confusing matter at the best of times, but I seem to have a dilemma.

Many of the staff have increased their hours and changed shifts dramatically this year and we are trying to work out their holiday pay.

Do we;

work out the average weekly hours worked and then do the calculation or

Use the out of date contracted hours or

work out the actual annual hours worked?

Once we've sorted that bit. I presume that we then have to look at all of the past staff and calculate their holiday entitlement until their last working day?

Would you also earn holiday pay whilst on sick pay?

Thank you for any help,

Spiral :o

Edited by Spiral

Guest jenpercy
Ok, this is a confusing matter at the best of times, but I seem to have a dilemma.

Many of the staff have increased their hours and changed shifts dramatically this year and we are trying to work out their holiday pay.

Do we;

work out the average weekly hours worked and then do the calculation or

Use the out of date contracted hours or

work out the actual annual hours worked?

Once we've sorted that bit. I presume that we then have to look at all of the past staff and calculate their holiday entitlement until their last working day?

Would you also earn holiday pay whilst on sick pay?

Thank you for any help,

Spiral :o

holiday pay is calculated on hours actually worked over the last 12 weeks at the time that holiday is taken - however, this can produce wildly different results if you close for 6 months.

You can vary this if you like, but it must be at least this.

Holiday pay does accrue when you are on sick pay, I would say at the basic rate contracted, unless the overtime has been regular and long-lasting (over 12 weeks?) when you have to count the overtime that would have been worked

this was one of the reasons we had definite weeks in the year to get holiday pay... being only open term time we had 1 week at Christmas.... 2 at Easter and rest in August.... and amount was calculated on the last 12 weeks ... this worked out better as hours increased over the year..and saved us this dilemma.

For this year I would probably calculate last 12 weeks and pay that amount...

and then because of all the fluctuating hours would consider if there is a better way... as paying all for the last 12 weeks when they are earning the most is good for the staff but not so good for the finances... we did calculate the difference in pay by doing it this way and it was quite a difference.. hence the need to pay over the year... we could not afford to pay it all for August.

staff leaving should have had this paid in their final wage... at the time of leaving.

Inge