Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Difference Of More Than 3 Points Between Profile Scores

So today my headteacher receieved an email from our LA with an attachment of my children and their profile scores. They said that you would not expect to have a difference of more than 3 points for a child between 2 areas, and if there were the children had been highlight and needed to be investigated. There were 13 of children lhighlighted - nearly half the class!

I wondered what your views on this were - to me this seemed ridiculous as not all the areas are comparible - a child could be brilliant at PD but not be able to blend or segment so would therefore have a difference of more than 3. A significant number related to the calculating score which was low in comparison to the other scores, but I have been very careful at making sure I award each point with an 80/20 split of child initiated/adult led. These children can add and subtract in adult led tasks but have not inititated it so i haven't given it - therefore it looks low. Similar for some of the writing - e.g I have a couple of children who can write 2 sentences independently when asked to, but when they mark make in their play they tend to revert to literally mark making - therefore I have not awarded them 'makes phonetically plausible attempts at writing' etc as they haven't demonstrated it in their play.

For each child I can easily explain the reason for why there was a difference but my LA are not ringing to discuss so I guess they just want me to analyse internally?! Just made me cross as they have no idea about the individual children!

K x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I had exactly the same email come through to the headteacher. I am a profile moderator and knew nothing about the email being sent. It did say that it was for information only and I also know I am not having a moderation visit next year so I don't think it is anything to worry about although I completely agree that children will excel in different areas. I have a child who chooses not to talk but is very confident in his physicsl ability of course he is going to be at different ends of the spectrum between reading and PD.

Seems like a strange thing to send out with no prior explanation.

Yes I agree that they should be thorough and I know that no action is being taken regarding it. However, it made me feel angry because I don't think it is useful or very accurate. I think i will email my LA to tell them, it may make some teachers alter their future scores so children don't have a big difference in points, if people like me who spend a long time ensuring that each point is given where it is due, then it is irrelevant if there is a big difference between points. I don't think it helps in ensuring accurate scoring. x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)