Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

High Frequency Words

We measure how many tricky words and decodable words our Reception children can read as they are leaving us, using the lists in letters and sounds. Do other people do this? If you do, how many do children know? Obviously this varies a lot from child to child. Our figures are always greeted by the year 1 teachers with a fair bit of tutting, which rather depresses me, but perhaps we just aren't trying hard enough. :o

Our results vary from 0 to 100 words read with 2/3rd children reading more than 20 words and half reading over 40. We are in a very deprived area, but I really don't know what we should expect. I am VERY committed to other outcomes like problem solving, creativity, sharing and having fun. What do you think?

Hi

We just tell the year i teacher what phase they need to work on and book bands as well as useful hints for particular children. We don't bother with lists of words.

I do this but have been wondering the point of it myself actually. I agree with others comments about the phonics phase and book bands being more relevant. Just out of interest, do you tick a word if a child sounds it out? or just if they read it by sight. My scores vary like yours, and sound similar - I do have a lot who are reading around 60 words but often sounding them out. What I was thinking of doing was devising an end of phase assesment which includes the tricky words and high frequency words that taught in that phase so you know if they are secure at a particular phase. what are others views on this?

I'm not saying that I want to measure all these words!

(We give the y1 teachers phonic phases and book bands as well.)

I give the child a 'yes' for the word if they sound it out without hesitation.

The whole thing is beginning to seem quite distant now thankfully. :o

Ive never really been a fan of the minutia of needing to know exactly how many words a child can read at any one point in the term or year, (I was never one for 'doing their words' every Friday afternoon...I worked with many who did but I had better things to do!). My regular assessments from guided reading and phonics work as well as writing usually told me which children struggled with tricky words and which ones they struggled with.

I think the phases and book bands should be enough to give the year one teacher a place to start when they return in the autumn. Perhaps our year ones teachers can say if this is effective for them?

Horsechesnut, do I get the feeling that you're being asked to do something you'd rather not? Or are you moving age groups next year?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)