Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Additional Adults In Reception Classes

hi

just wondered if anyone knew if there was a minimum level of qualification for the additional adult in a reception class. we currently have a class teacher and another adult (TA)

what qualification should the TA have?

what training etc should the TA have had?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Lou :o

Edited by Guest

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi there,

As far as I know reception classes are treated the same as KS1 classes and there doesn't have to be a TA in there. I think it is 1 teacher to 28/30 children. The school decides whether to put TA's in or not. We have a TA2 in our setting aswell as a NNEB and HLTA.

I don't think (but I am not sure) that there is a LEGAL requirement but I beleive good practice is to have at least one TA in the reception class.

I also think a TA with a qualification is also good practice but not necessarily a legal requiremnt.

Our TA is NVQ level 3

Hi

As I understand it, I am a Reception Teacher, legally I can be the only person responsible for 30 children. There is no legal requirement to have a TA/NNEB/HLTA assistant at all, that decision is down to the head teacher.

But we all know that this is not good practise, I do have a HLTA but only for about 60% of the time. I really wished when the EYFS came into force that this issue would be addressed but alas it has not. :o

Cwumbs

I always thought it was 1 to 15 but have recently found out, as said above, that their is no actual legal requirement for any additional adults in a reception class but is up to headteacher to decide. (I have 32 next year and 1 TA - help!)

Chickpea xx

I agree with redjayne I'm sure you can't have class of 32 with just one teacher even if there is a TA. One member of staff with 30 children makes a mockery of the EYFS as far as I'm concerned - how can you provide indoor and outdoor provision, teach group work, do observations and support children's learning if you're on your own>

Normally you can't have more than 30 children to one teacher in an infant (reception) class but there are legal exceptions to this

Permitted exceptions to the infant class size limit

6. Regulations (the Education (Infant Class Sizes) (England) Regulations 1998 as amended by the Education (Infant Class Sizes) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2006) prescribe the limited circumstances in which pupils may be admitted as exceptions to the infant class size limit. These exceptions are:

a) children with statements of special educational needs who are admitted to the school outside the normal admissions round;

:o children moving into the area outside the normal admissions round for whom there is no other available school within a reasonable distance (the regulations require that admission authorities must check with local authorities before determining that a child falls into this category);

c) children admitted after the initial allocation of places because the person responsible for making the decision recognizes that an error was made in implementing the school’s admission arrangements and a place ought to have been offered;

d) looked after children admitted outside the normal admissions round;

e) children admitted where an independent appeal panel upholds an appeal on the grounds that the child would have been offered a place if the admission arrangements had been properly implemented, and/or the admission authority’s decision to refuse a place was not one which a reasonable admission authority would have made;

f) children who are registered pupils at special schools and who, by arrangement with another school which is not a special school, receive part of their education at that other school;

g) children with special educational needs who are registered pupils at a school which is not a special school and are normally educated in a special educational needs unit attached to that school, and attend an infant class in the mainstream school (i.e. not in the unit) where this has been deemed as beneficial to the child.

In the case of f) and g), the child will remain an exception for any time they spend in an infant class at the mainstream school or outside the special unit. However in all other circumstances the child will only remain an exception for the remainder of the school year in which they are admitted. Measures must be taken the following year to ensure the class falls within the infant class limit.

The statutory staffing requirements for children in reception classes in maintained schools

If the majority of children in the class reach the age of five, six, or seven during the course of the school year, the class is subject to the existing infant class size legislation, rather than to the EYFS statutory guidance, that is, an infant class must not contain more than 30 pupils while an ordinary teaching session is conducted by a single school teacher. The presence of support staff should not be used as a factor in determining whether a reception class complies with statutory infant class size limits.

A reception class would not fall within the definition of an infant class if the majority of children will not reach the age of five during the school year. In such cases, the ratio and qualification requirements for children aged three and over in maintained schools would apply.

thanks for all the replies...even if they didnt realy answer my question ....lol

just thought there should be a minimum standard for additional adults in reception..but seems anyone will do

thanks all

Lou

thanks for all the replies...even if they didnt realy answer my question ....lol

just thought there should be a minimum standard for additional adults in reception..but seems anyone will do

thanks all

Lou

or even worse no one will do ...

That's the lovely side of EYFS in a reception class 1 QTS:30 children as minimum.

However it is up to the school to have additional support etc depending on their own idea of what is needed.

Cx

That's the lovely side of EYFS in a reception class 1 QTS:30 children as minimum.

However it is up to the school to have additional support etc depending on their own idea of what is needed.

Cx

or depending on where they can legally make savings when faced with huge budget cuts and the EYSFF shortfall

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)