Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Crisis

i i dont know if im writing this in the right place but oh well! im in desperate need of some advise.

at present im an NQT working in reception. however im on a temporary contract due to covering maternity. the contract ends july. they have however offered me one more year as another teacher is off them having a baby.

i dont know if to take it or not because what i really want is a permanant contract and gain experince inleading a subject which i wont get here.

he wants the desision monday should i say yes then if a permanant job else where comes up take that or is that not fair on this school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry this is so lenghy but my brain is aching with the stress of trying to sort this out

please help me!!!!111

Hi

i would be straight with him on Monday ,...i would say you interested, would love to do it but really want a perm contract so you will be looking elseware!! as this at the end of the day its what you really want ( i realise i dont know what your personal circumstances are but if money isnt the main issue thats what i would say) :D

If you love the school it may be worth staying another year - you never know, the job may become permanent by default (I started as a part-timer and became full-time within 2 terms due to staff changes). Maybe your Head would consider letting you coordinate a subject if you asked him? - Mind you, I wouldn't rush into it, enjoy your freedom while you have it!! :o

hi there. I think if my memory serves me correctly that you have the same rights as a permanent employee if you work more than one year in one school. You could check on your union web site about this. You could talk to the Head about this on Monday.

In the event that you then find a better job, you can still give notice and leave.

And you may be able to get subject coordinator experience, as surely the leaving teacher will have coordinated something that you take over?

Hi Clare, if you like this school and would be happy to work there for another year then I would accept the contract that you have been offered but make it clear to your head that you are looking for a permanent contract and would welcome the opportunity to be a coordinator.

Then you willl be able to keep an eye on the job market and apply if you see something you like the look of but you will not be out of a job either as unfortunately there are no guarantees that you will see something or be offered it. The school must like you if they are offering you this and may as ASPK says be in a position to offer you something permanent at later date.

At the moment unless you are really unhappy and can not bear to work in that school any longer than necessary you would be better to be in a job, consolidating your experiences and building on these than to be out of work. While supply work is always an option, it is not very forthcoming in my area and you do not get the same job satisfaction or support.

Also as has been suggested I would take the time if you are not subject coordinating the opportunity to concentrate on your classroom displays etc and planning and preparartion. Come September you will not have the reduced timetable that you should have had as an NQT and from the news Ive read today and the info on here last night, it looks like PPA may be a non starter.

Good luck with making your decision.

hi all, thanks for all your suggestions. ive taken the advise and ive accepted the job but told him that i really want a permanant job and will be keeping my options open .

thanks once again i feel i little less stressed ( if thats possible being a teacher!!!!!!!!)

Congratulations! I'm sure you won't regret your decision and it will allow you to consolidate your NQT eperience in a school you're familiar with :D