Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling Fed Up

Buttercup

feeling fed up and unapriciated. spent all weekend again rushing about doing playgroup stuff. Had some really good knews got outstanding in ofsted report but why do i not feel happy. Because staff do not seem appreciate hours i put in. Yes its my business so is this the joys of being manager. Its nearly summers hols all i can think about it work that needs doing.

is it just me

Buttercup

is it just me

No it isn't, Buttercup. Its a lonely place at the top of an organisation, and when the buck stops with you the burden can seem very heavy.

Congratulations on achieving an Oustanding - I know what a lot of effort that has taken. Have you had much feedback from the team and parents about this wonderful achievement? Perhaps you're feeling a bit unloved and unwanted at the moment, or maybe its that you know the amount of work ahead that will be necessary in order not only to maintain standards, but also to improve?

As we head towards the end of term it is natural to think about what has to be done, especially when we're tired (and possibly emotional). Maybe the time has come to think about what duties you can delegate to other team members so that you can get a bit more life into your work/life balance. In the meantime, have you planned a celebration of some kind before the end of term? Perhaps talking to your parents, children and staff about your Oustanding will help you see what you've achieved and end the term on a high.

Good luck - hope you feel a bit more positive soon!

Maz

Maz, you always say the most wonderful thing. I bet there are lots of us feeling similar to Buttercup (I know our unpaid Chair is exhausted just trying to sort out staffing for next term) and the emotions of seeing the majority of our co-hort move on to school coupled with the pressure of completing learning and devt files along with reports have the staff has everyone more on edge than usual.

Although I'm not going on hoilday I've made sure I've some things to look forward to during the 6 week break and have promised myself at least 3 weeks of absolutely no preschool. Can you do this Buttercup? Make sure you give yourself time to switch off? And delegate! I wish I had senior staff who were able to do more of the jobs I spend my summer doing (registers, name labels, buying resources) and have also made up my mind to finally get the SEF online. I have a team who are able to switch off, I find it very difficult.

At least we'll all be on here supporting each other!! :o

Sam

Guest jenpercy

As someone who owns a 51 week setting, I usually have about 2 weeks holiday taken in dribs and drabs - so I must get things running smoothly without me and start taking holidays. I've got 5 days off this summer 3 for a folk festival and 2 fror my daughters wedding!!

I've got 5 days off this summer 3 for a folk festival and 2 fror my daughters wedding!!

Ooh how exciting! Where's the folk festival and when's the wedding? :o

Maz

Oh Buttercup hope you're feeling more positive today. Shout your own trumpet no-one else will. You deserve that success and you also deserve time off. Organise your own party for the setting to celebrate. It's too easy to be modest in our job and people can take you for granted and just presume you'll do stuff.

CONGRATS ON OFSTED - THAT'S AMAZING - WELL DONE X

23rd is my last day as manager so for the first time in 17 years I won't have a nursery 'to do' list..... yay!! But, I have got such a long list of jobs at home that have been seriously neglected over the years.... where to begin is the problem!

Seriously, once you've prioritised then just aim for a realistic target of jobs and leave the rest. I've never had any qualms about telling 'Mrs O' why some things just aren't done - but then you haven't got that additional pressure if she's just been! Have you got an Annual Development Plan in place? If so, maybe some of the jobs on your list could be allocated a time slot for the coming year, or - heaven forbid - delegated fairly across your team under the banner of staff development ;O)

Last word of advice - make sure you get a good block of quality time to yourself and your family and enjoy your 'holiday'.

Guest jenpercy
Ooh how exciting! Where's the folk festival and when's the wedding? :o

Maz

the folk festival is around the 12th August (our 33rd Anniversary) at Cropredy with Fairport Convention. I think the band is 5 years older than the marriage.

The wedding is on the 28th of August. 5lbs down and 5 to go. I'm aiming for the weight I was about 5 years ago, after I lost over a stone and a half and then put about 10lbs back on (over the5 years, so not so bad really. It's in rutland castle, and whilst I get to dress up and swan around, the other half is having torments over having to ear a wing collar and cravat.

and to think I brought my daughters up as feminsts who wouldn't (I thought) waste that amount of money on that sort of thing. younger daughter has promised to elope when the time comes.