Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diabetic

Hello everyone, this is my first topic post so Hi to everyone!! :o

We have a child in the setting who is a diabetic, but I have noticed whilst im in setting, the staff take his blood sugar reading but no record of it is made! They have all had a diabetic nurse come in and explain to them the procedures but my concern is that we hold no record for him, to even show his parents or nurse/doctor if they ask if we have noticed any pattern etc.

Am i right I saying that we should be keeping a record in his file, of level, what he has eatten or drunk each day?

Any guidance would be brilliant!!

Thank xx

I haven't had a diabetic child in nursery but have had two in school and I am a first aider I do see them at times.....

I think absolutely readings should be recorded..... the children I spoke of have books that these recordings get written in.

In the day and age when parents have to sign to say we as staff have told them we cleaned a scrape or had a gel pack on a bump it seems crazy that something as important as blood readings are not noted down!!

I don't know about the legality here but how does anyone know what the readings were and exactly what time they were taken if its not noted down??

Edited by Scarlettangel

I have to agree with Scarletangel, makes sense to record what you can. Perhaps you could have a review of your Care Plan with the parents and come to some understanding over this - maybe they already think you do this as a matter of course.

We have a diabetic child, there is no need to make a written note of blood levels if they have a machine that logs blood levels in the memory.

The parents take it from us at the end of the week and do what they need to do with it and bring it back again next time child is in. They also have one at home and combine the details on their computer.

Does this help?

BMG

We have two children at our school with diabetes currently, they each have a book in which to write levels in (but we also administer insulin so this is recorded). If you are only monitoring levels then the machine keeps it in the memory, however it is good practice to also write it down if the battery goes dead or tester malfunctions the readings will be lost.

Jo

We have child with diabetes in nursery and we record her readings, all food and drinks and any significant behaviour, in her home school book and our log, the parents also tell us how she has been out of nursery. This means we have a record in case the meter fails and everyone can see what she has eaten or drunk. Her diabetes is not yet well controlled and keeping careful notes helps us to see patterns and ensure we provide the best care for her. When she has had hypos we have been able to show that we have acted according to her care plan and her levels have fallen suddenly despite this.

I know it is time consuming but I would advise keeping records.

Edited by fay

We have a diabetic child and we drew up a health plan about how to manage her condition as per Managing Medicine in Early Years 2005. We have a book, which was provided by the diabetic nurse, its small and red, both us and mum write the readings in the book, her machine also holds the readings in the memory, however these have been know to go wrong. Speak to parents and ask them to ask their diabetic nurse for a recording book.

Claire x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)