Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception

Hi there everybody,

I have recently joined and this will be my first post. Just been reading some of the topics, a real wealth of support out there.

I'm in Reception next year a class of 28!!! I just need a little advice. There will be myself (teacher) and a full time Nursery Nurse. Is it right that i should not do whole class teaching? I feel it would be rather difficult when there are so widely apart developmentally. Also for every taught lesson (teacher led/Nursery nurse led), do i record what has been observed to enter in their learning journeys?

Would love to know how you organise your day/week. It would be great to have a little insight on when you fit in CIRcle time, phonics, CLL, PSRN, KUW, ETC.

Can someone please give me a little help.

Thankyou hugely

xx

Welcome to the Forum, popcorn.

How lovely to hear a teacher sooo excited about being in reception!

I'm in pre-school so can't offer any help - but there are lots of knowledgeable teachers on here who will be along with words of wisdom soon, no doubt!

Maz

Welcome to the forum - and to Reception teaching, in my opinion the best year group to teach in! I joined my school in September and we have had support from our EY team to sort out planning etc. I do teach whole class sessions but I keep them very short, especially in September. I have attached my timetable and some plans - at the moment I have Reception and Year 1, but I teach my Y1s in a Foundation Stage way. I have also attached an Evaluation sheet which is useful to add to throughout the week and can then feed into the following weeks planning. I hope this makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.

Kathryn

Weekly_Evaluation_Sheet.doc

Class_1_timetable_new_1.doc

Clld_weekly_plan_10th_May.doc

PSRN_weekly_plan_5_May.doc

Weekly_Plan_PSED_KUW_CD_PD_10_May.doc

Medium_term_plan.pub

Medium_term_plan_learning_objectives.pub

There will be myself (teacher) and a full time Nursery Nurse. Is it right that i should not do whole class teaching? I feel it would be rather difficult when there are so widely apart developmentally.

I would say there certainly should be some whole class carpet work going on where everyone sits down together to discuss/learn something, just because it's a good habit to get into and less able ones can still benefit from being involved in this type of work, even if it is only developing their listening and concentration skills. The NN or TA can sit with those who perhaps need more support at carpet time to work with them but still keep them as part of a group. Depending on needs though there may be times when you want a lower or higher ability group to not join in carpet time and work with the NN seperately.

Also for every taught lesson (teacher led/Nursery nurse led), do i record what has been observed to enter in their learning journeys?

Goodness no! You'd never have time to do that for 28 children! Only significant experiences or development points need to be recorded in learning journals, you'd never have time to observe 28 children each and every lesson anyway, doing so would mean you would have no time to actually work or play with the children. Some sessions you might find there are no observations at all to record because you've only seen stuff that you already have evidence for, whilst in other sessions you might get a wide range of observations depending on what is going on and how the children are playing and learning. Observations for evidence for profile points should come from child initiated activties anyway so during most taught lessons you won't be gathering much evidence anyway, although you may still have things to record if they are significant steps/activities.

I hope at least some of that made sense!

There are lots of planning/timetables on here - I know I have posted mine previously. My day is less structured then Kathrymc's.

I generally have a whole class carpet session on either literacy or numeracy then run adult led tasks related to the carpet session all morning. The afternoon is more CD/KUW/PE based. I only do 2 PSRN and 2CLL adult led tasks a week. I tend have 1 adult delivering a task, which we do make observations of key learning of all children for their learning stories. I have 2 Tas this year so usually have 1 observing inside and 1 outside (as we have free-flow).

Good luck! Reception is brilliant! x

Thankyou all for all your advice and spport out there. I knew if posted on here, my head would be a little clearer. I really am so o excited, its a magical time for these children, and I just want to give them the best start, and a truly enjoyable experience. If you can't now when are you hey?

Looking forward to it very much.

Thanks all again, im sure it wont be the last time you hear fro me either

xxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)