Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Insurance

We're hoping to open a preschool in the grounds of a school (we would be renting 3 rooms from the school).

We are hoping just to be 9am - 4pm sessional care with a lunch club for working parents.

The school will have the breakfast and after school club however the school insurance only covers 5 - 11 year olds.

Is there anyway our insurance would cover our 3 - 4 year olds to be in the schools out of school club?

The headteacher suggested we take the out of school club on but it's just not feasible and I know it doesn't make any money so we don't want to take on the loss.

i would talk to your insurer

we use the pla insurance for our preschool and when i ran and after school club e used morton michael

i am sure one company will do a total age range cover for you

We will be using PSLA too, I just wasn't sure if it would cover our children to be on school premises without any of us being there. I will give them a ring tomorrow :)

I would be surprised if it will allow cover to include the after school club which is not actually part of your setting..

not just that no staff remain but it is a totally different 'group' and in reality you have nothing to do with it.. when ringing you need to make this clear..

it is not your responsibility at all so totally different to a setting which includes the after school club and care for older children.

Inge

Guest jenpercy

This is confusing - if the afterschool club has separate insurance, then they should increase insurance. If the after-school club is run by the school and is on school insurance - the schhol will have to increase their insurance. I would have thought that

a) they must be insured for 4 year olds as they will take rising 5s

:o I had always assumed that they were covered by Insurance through County and loads of schools have 3-year olds these days.

I am at a loss to understand how an after-school club run by a school (and therfore no rent?) with all the free or low cost support from school can make a loss. What do they charge. It may be worthwhile taking it on, if you can get agreement that it MUST be profitable.

Guest jenpercy

Re: Afterschool club - if you can get agreement not to take on any existing debts - and you can put rates up to sustainable level - it would be worthwhile. I have always wished I could run a pre-school with mt after-school club. Emergency cover from existing staff - not losing keen young people who need more hours.

Don't dismiss it out of hand - ask the Head what she has in mind over this.

As it is, -Your 4 year olds definately can't attend after school unless the school will insure them. No Insurance company will insure you for things totally outside your control.

PSLA said they could add it to our insurance....I even clarified and said "even if none of our staff would be there" Strange I might try again tomorrow.

I know it makes a loss as its currently run by the private nursery I manage (which is closing on 23rd July) a new company is hoping to open a preschool come september.

Breakfast club is currently £2 and after school is £5. Ridiculous rates really but headteacher who is taking it back since we're closing has agreed prices will remain the same for the forthcoming term.

Guest jenpercy
PSLA said they could add it to our insurance....I even clarified and said "even if none of our staff would be there" Strange I might try again tomorrow.

I know it makes a loss as its currently run by the private nursery I manage (which is closing on 23rd July) a new company is hoping to open a preschool come september.

Breakfast club is currently £2 and after school is £5. Ridiculous rates really but headteacher who is taking it back since we're closing has agreed prices will remain the same for the forthcoming term.

Breakfast clubs often come in at that sort of price - thqat is when they are run by (subsidised by) schools and use volunteers. My after-school club is £9.50 a night - but our rent is £40.50 per night plus £8.33 a day for my office - whic is why we are skint. this is however, just under £2 rent per child - so even if it is rent-free, £5 is too cheap

Perhaps it needs phrasing differently.. rather than none of your staff being present.. more along the lines of the fact that is run by a a different management and group is under a different name... where you have no input whatsoever ... just to cover yourselves and them... you don't want to end up responsible because it is on your insurance.. and I would want to to get the confirmation in writing that this is Ok..

Inge

Guest jenpercy
Perhaps it needs phrasing differently.. rather than none of your staff being present.. more along the lines of the fact that is run by a a different management and group is under a different name... where you have no input whatsoever ... just to cover yourselves and them... you don't want to end up responsible because it is on your insurance.. and I would want to to get the confirmation in writing that this is Ok..

Inge

And I assume that it is not on the part of the premises that you have ensured for your use!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)