Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

In Need Of Support

This situation and the lack of support and advice available to you, PPP, seems SO unfair :o

What about trying an employment law approach? You may have access to a legal advice helpline through your home or car insurance.

Thinking of you and sending supportive vibes,

Nona

As someone has already suggested keep a detailed diary of dates, times and comments made. If necessary you can either join a union (costly but may be worth it long term) or visit citizen's (sp) advice and discuss it with them from the point of view of bullying in the workplace or unfair treatment by an employer, not following disciplinary procedures etc.

Good luck for the week ahead x

Having recently had to go through a disiplinary meeting with a member of my staff, for which I have had no training, it seems to me that the proper procedures were not followed in your case. I found the following booklet invaluable in knowing what procedure should be followed, in my case I had to issue a member of staff with a final written warning for her conduct, and ours was a disiplinary hearing.

This booklet talks about disiplinary procedure and performance management. I don't doubt for a minute that the allegations are unfounded, but these procedures should surely have been followed including providing you with prior written evidence of the allegations against you.

http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1043ed

Goodness only knows why we do this job. Keep strong!

Thank you Mrs W!

They're not accountable to anyone. It is so wrong. I feel like setting up a Playgroup support group where I can stop these sort of things happening!

I know that feeling PPP, even Lawcall wouldnt speak to me about a CP issue because I was the playleader not the chair, and what the hell did she know about CP?? :o

I'm going to dig around on this, see if I can find anything.

ACAS

This is all I could find. Worrying isnt it?

Its just advice on disciplinary and grivence procedures, but you can order a copy and take it with you at the next meeting. Keep ficking through it every time they say something :o

If you want a bit more advice theres this free employment solicitor Employment solicitors

Edited by Rea

The information about handling disciplinary matters is actually very useful - it gives a clear breakdown of what an employer should do if they are concerned about an employee's conduct or performance. It lays out what the employee's responsibilities are and what the employer should do - including allowing you to bring someone with you to the initial meeting where the employer lays out the 'evidence' of the employee's shortcomings. I was surprised to read that this person can in fact speak up on your behalf, but canot answer questions on behalf of the employee. If you ask a colleague to support you, then they are in turn protected from the employer taking any action against them.

The information here also gives a brief outline of what you can do if you disagree with the decision the employer reaches following the initial meeting.

I can't see how being a voluntary committee negates any of the employer's responsibilities in these matters - although it does make it more difficult in deciding where to go if you appeal to the committee and they uphold their decision. This is where the PLA if you're a member or the Local Authority should step in to oversee things, I think.

Maz

Thank you Rea!

I really do appreciate your help.

ppp

hi,

i havent read all the thread but i was in a similar postion a couple of years ago - questionnaire sent out to my staff and parents from the committee and used in my appraisal . it was a nightmare.

But i surrived and the committee did not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chin up and think of the children

I can't see how being a voluntary committee negates any of the employer's responsibilities in these matters - although it does make it more difficult in deciding where to go if you appeal to the committee and they uphold their decision. This is where the PLA if you're a member or the Local Authority should step in to oversee things, I think.

Maz

Being a voluntary committee doesnt make any difference. The committee are still the employers of the staff and as such have to abide by employment law. That being the case, the employee has the same legal protection as anyone else.

PPP, if I was you, I'd write a letter to the committee. Address each point they put to you saying how it can/cannot be achieved under ther rules and regulations playgroups have to follow. Include the roles and responsibilities of the committee. Make reference to the EYFS documentation if you need to, phone PLA or other body that can help, quoting sources. You need to have something in writing that referes to the meeting, their questionaire, what everyone said, and how you will address each point.

Roles and responsibilities of management committee

I'd love to come and talk to them. :o