Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity Entitlements

Has anyone had a member of staff that has left to have a baby and worked out employment law for maternity leave?

I have a member of staff that is expecting a baby in October. She only works 3 sessions per week, so doesn't earn enough to pay National Insurance or tax. Do I have to pay any maternity pay when she leaves to have the baby? If so can I claim it back?

Carolyn

Carolyn C

If your member of staff doesn't earn enough to pay NI or tax then she will not be able to claim for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) but she may be able to claim for Maternity Allowance.

I had to go through this a few years ago with an employee but I'm a little rusty

This is a user friendly website you may wish to look at

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/s...pay.asp#caniget

Thanks for your help.

I have another question...

This member of staff is great and we'd love to keep her on. Would we be allowed to advertise her job as maternity cover (assuming she wants to come back and she seems keen to) even if we are not paying her maternity pay? I need to know about employment law here I think.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn C

I'm sure you're able to advertise her job as maternity cover. Just make sure it says so in the contract that it's a temporary position. In our case we just used existing members of staff to cover the loss of a staff member due to maternity leave.

As I said I'm very rusty on these matters now. It would be best to go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau for up to date accurate advice and information.

Hi Carolyn

No real mystery to the !! except I didn't want a label such as forum gardener, forum oldie, forum trouble maker, whatever under my name.

I couldn't leave it blank so !! seemed as good as anything at the time. Just can't remember how to go back and change it! :D

Sorry - rather boring really.

Oh how disappointing. I didn't know we could change those, I thought they were automatically generated in some way (or magically produced by Steve or something).

Carolyn

I set up the default titles Carolyn, which are based on the number of posts. But you're free to change them, as many members do, to whatever you prefer. Some people put their names there. You can change it from your profile in My Controls :)

Hi

There is a great article that includes maternity entitlements in the Nursery World this week

17th March 2005

There is a FREE NURSERY BUSINESS booklet in there would should give you some help.

Carolann :o