Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moving Premises

Can anyone offer any useful advice?

We are fairly confident that we will be moving to a new site at the local primary school at some point next year.

I spoke to Ofsted about this and they said that it will take 25 weeks to sort out the re-registration and 7 weeks into this they need to inspect the premises.

Can you tell me if it really takes this long in practice and how finished the premises needs to be before it is inspected?

Also do you have to redo all the paperwork like CRBs and health check as if it is a new business?

Thanks in advance.

Jane

I spoke to Ofsted about this and they said that it will take 25 weeks to sort out the re-registration and 7 weeks into this they need to inspect the premises.

Can you tell me if it really takes this long in practice and how finished the premises needs to be before it is inspected?

Also do you have to redo all the paperwork like CRBs and health check as if it is a new business?

Thanks in advance.

Jane

Sorry but timescale sounds about right to me. We expanded our setting by opening a second site. The suitability of premises inspection was done whilst the builders/decoraters were still in situ and before we thought about moving any resources/furniture in.

From memory we did not have to re do CRBs as we were using existing staff

Hi

Am reading this with interest. Am actually in the process of applying for planning permission for moving to new build, fingers crossed for september (modular unit not bricks!). Am actually in process of trying to sort out with Ofsted how long new registration takes. Have to say they are up to their usual - hit a moving target - tricks. I have spoken to 3 diffrent people at Ofsted about this now and have diffrent answers from all. As far as I can see it`s in the lap of the gods!

Sally

We moved into a new Pre-school last summer on the same site where the old one was. I arranged with Ofsted they inspected it in August so we had the new registration certificate when we opened in the September.

The inspector came out and inspected a partly built shell with no electrics etc, which was fine. I think my tip would be is to keep communicating with Ofsted and pin them down to a date so that you can open on time.

I kept the same staff so did not carry out new CRB checks. However the Health and Safety manual and fire procedures had to all be re-written which took me quite a while.

We are moving to new premises in September too. We sent off all our forms on the 14th May - EY0, EY2's etc - had the premises inspected within 2 weeks, our Manager interviewed and OFSTED CRB'd as she'd slipped through the net and never had the interview and registration was through by 15th June! You have to make it clear that you are transferring - we gave the inspector a copy of our current policies so she could see that we are well organised etc.

So they can process things quickly - just keep pushing!

Good luck!