Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should He Know This...

Guest jane707

Guest jane707

I am a childminder and I care for a child who is just 5, so in Reception class and the Eyfs.

We had a long chat about the differences between monosyllabic and polysyllabic words at the tea table the other evening!!

Now ok he's a bright lad but I've always strongly believed in the play ethos of the Eyfs going through reception.

So, I wondered if I could ask any reception teachers out there - should they really be teaching him this?

I have to be honest even the teens looked blank when he first started talking LOL!

Thank you! :o

Guest jane707

Yes he fully understood and he insisted we went round the table clapping out syllables to each child's name.

It just seemed a little bizarre coming out of the mouth of a child who still likes to make mud pies, plays in boxes for hours on end and struggles to put his shoes on the right feet half the time!!

Hey ho, he explained what transubstantiation was the other day as well - he'd been listening at church and a few weeks ago he was heard explaining to my 16 year old how butterflies were born by metamorphosis!!

I suppose he's just a bright one! :o

Guest LornaW

I suppose he's just a bright one!

... and by the sounds of it words interest him!

Lorna

Edited by LornaW

He sounds very bright!

And yes, this could be part of his phonics program. I do the whole clapping syllables with my phonics group too and they love it and all understand it. I don't use mono and polysyllabic in my explanations, but I do always use "grown up" words around them as well as more simple explanations. Only the bright ones rememebr them but they all love the words when they hear them, makes them feel grown up!

I suppose my reply would be why shouldn't he?

We wouldn't be too surprised if a young child could name dinosaurs! He is obviously keen to learn and has a good teacher who is making it accessible and fun so he understands and can apply.

It doesn't mean that there isn't a play ethos - just targetted teaching too.

Pretty good going in my book.

Cx

ahhh but the really bright ones can be scary! Ever had a child sit in front of you and know he knows more than you do?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)