Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"zone Of Initiative" On Observation Sheet

Hi all!

I have an interview later this week for a Nursery Teacher post and part of my interview is to observe some children of my choice and complete an observation form the setting currently use - which is not a problem, had plenty of experience of observing children in EYFS previously.

However looking over the observation proforma I've been given a copy of, within the 'Context' box (i.e. what context the observation is in) it says in the bottom right "Zone of Initiative: 1 2 3 4". I've never seen this before! Obviously I need to circle one of the numbers. But I've searched on these forums and on Google and can't find a trace of the term 'zone of initiative' anywhere in relation to EYFS, Child Development or anything.

My first thought would be involvement level perhaps, but that is later on in the pro-forma (with a scale of 1-5). I wondered if 'Zone of Initiative' was the same as the Leuven scales of involvement, but surely that's the same as Involvement Level on the observation sheet? My OH is suggesting that maybe the setting have zoned off different areas of the setting - i.e. role play = zone 1, book corner = zone 2, etc?

Can anybody provide any clarification, please?!

Thanks in advance.

Rosey x

Edited by Rosey

Hi Rosey, I have activity zones in my nursery but I helpfully write them in full on observation sheets!

Personally I think abbreviations are bad manners -like jargon - unless it's something so obvious and used universally. Have you looked on the nursery's local authority website? Or is it worth phoning the school and checking - I would say that was a candidate using initiative if that was me.

Sorry not to be more help and good luck

Posy

I've never heard of this but I should stop worrying and ask the setting for clarification when you arrive for the interview. If you have good observation skills and a sound knowledge of the EYFS you will do well and you can hardly be expected to be familiar with every variation of observation sheet.

Thank you so much for such prompt replies! Needless to say, it's been driving me absolutely barmy, especially as there is no trace of such a term anywhere (and it's made me start doubting my suitability for the job if I don't know such a term). But your kind words have reassured me no end. xD I am just going to have to ask for clarification when I arrive at my interview.

Thanks again, both of you!

Rosey x

P.S. When I do find out what the 'Zone of Initiative' is, I shall report back and let you know. :o

Guest Jamjim

I may be completely wrong, but we had the zone of initiative on our observation sheet when we did the EEL project and this was numbered 1-4. I think 1 was adult directed, and 4 was a complete free choice indoor and outside.

I don't know if this will help jog anyone else's memory

no jamjim you are absolutely right it does come from the EEl project paperwork (effective early learning) and does relate to the initiative level of the child (i can never remember which way round it goes and i've done these hundreds of times - i have to check eack time!) i think 1 is low initiative as you said leading to child initiated at level 4....hope that helps ....if you have this in the setting the original project paperwork is probably there too :o

Goodness - no wonder I didn't know about it, I was told to disregard the EEL project in my teacher training in favour of the EYFS!

Thank you so much for enlightening me - saves me fretting about it and I can truly focus on the observation now. :o

Rosey x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)